Current time: 04-24-2014, 01:53 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

How to use a large mail box in real life?
11-06-2007, 10:45 AM
I see that with 99% of hosting companies you can create your gibibyte email account (or even bigger). I have, but at one point when you have hundreds of emails, your email client gets really really slow if you use IMAP. Also, the search feature doesn't work very well, you search something that you know should return results but you get no results... If you use POP, you don't have these problems, but you can't access your mails from any computer, as you download them onto your local computer (and your mailbox is empty 99% of time).

In the end, Gmail, which is free, works better than a paid mailbox from a web hosting company because your inbox pops up instantly, when you search something, you get the search results in half a second. And you can use several gigs easily, it makes no difference.

How can I use a gibibyte mailbox with thousands of mails, lots of attachments, with a fast/efficient search feature, and have it working as fast as Gmail? Is IMAP flawed? What do you think?
Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-06-2007, 01:11 PM
Quote:at one point when you have hundreds of emails, your email client gets really really slow if you use IMAP.
Yes. Yes it *does*. Especially if you leave lots of mail in your inbox. Moving mail from your inbox to other folders on a regular basis so that your actual inbox is "lean and mean" goes a long way toward addressing that problem.

Frankly, I use POP at Dreamhost in conjunction with a Gmail Account (where I forward stuff I might want to keep available "from anywhere").

--rlparker
11-06-2007, 01:23 PM
Yes, but I guess this "Archive" directory would get messy the same way and I can't imagine having to access it... My email client would go crazy and freeze...
11-06-2007, 01:29 PM
Quote:Yes, but I guess this "Archive" directory would get messy the same way...
Well, it certainly could if you used a single directory. Using a series of directories (by month/year, project, or other "sub-sort" criteria) would help to a point but, at the end of the day, if you just leave it all on the server there will be a trade off between convenience of searching and speed.

--rlparker
11-06-2007, 01:53 PM
Just for the record what are you using as mail client?

---
use VIC3M for a 70USD discount on all plans (except monthly payments) +10% on storage and bandwith.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-06-2007, 01:57 PM
I use Opera's email client.
11-06-2007, 02:23 PM
I've personally come to the same conclusion and switched to Google Apps for email, and web stuff here at Dreamhost. I doesn't seem that (most?) shared hosting setups are directed at supporting moderate to large email stores over IMAP.

Maybe this will get better if/when database-driven email systems become more widely used.
11-06-2007, 02:27 PM
Yes. The problem is that no e-mail client (except webmails) are compatible with database-driven email (they only work with POP & IMAP).
11-06-2007, 04:27 PM
I was thinking more along the lines of a database backend, something along the lines of DBMail - http://www.dbmail.org/index.php?page=overview

I've never used DBMail, or seen it used, but I imagine it would scale much better than most of what is currently used. There are other, similar servers out there which do even more for the index and searching aspect of mail storage. But I'm sure it would be a huge task to make such a switch so I doubt it will happen any time in the near future if ever.
11-07-2007, 03:56 AM
Thanks for the link. It looks nice but it stores attachments into the database (it should use the file system). Also, I don't think I'll be able to install it in DH as it's a C++ application, from what I read Sad