Current time: 04-19-2014, 03:05 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Stop the junk posts!
10-21-2007, 09:49 AM
Stop the junk posts!
Hi,

I thought I'd request a stop to the junk posts that either just rehash information already posted or post information that doesn't really answer the OP's post.

For example, and I'm only using this as an example, in this thread, rlparker posted a perfectly good answer that fully answered the OP's post. We don't need extra crap in the thread - particularly by people trying to get their promo codes out there. I especially don't like to see this from two longstanding board members who should know better!

I know you folks may see me as the pot calling the kettle black, but I do hope you see that I do try to only post when needed. I know everyone else has good intentions here as well and just think that we all need encouragement to behave in a manner that will maximize the utility of this board to the people who need it most - the people who need help, not distraction.

Free unique IP and $67 off with code LMIP67 or use LM97 for $97 off. Click for more promo code discounts
Find all posts by this user
10-21-2007, 10:41 AM
Stop the junk posts!
I totally get what you are saying...but I think the additional knowledge in that post is good, especially for a potential new dreamhost user. It may not be easy to see the benefit, as you are not a newtimer : )

Our panel is built quite well. And showing to potential Dreamhost customers who are web developers that they will have the ability, through the Dreamhost Admin Panel, to set up their customers with access to ONLY their sites...and not every customer they have will able to see every body elses is quite unique. (i know this sentence is deplorable...but it's early!)

But, I agree that some posts are to build rewards. I personally don't use the promo codes.
10-21-2007, 01:42 PM
Stop the junk posts!
Quote:I know you folks may see me as the pot calling the kettle black, but I do hope you see that I do try to only post when needed.
Yeah, right
10-21-2007, 06:06 PM
Stop the junk posts!
"posts that either just rehash information already posted"

Sometimes an alternative explanation can be helpful, perhaps reshaping the information in a way that make sense in ways that the original may not, each person having different ways of being able to understand. The meat of the info could be nearly identical, but its presentational organization is different and the questioner then has the potential benefit of one way making more sense to them than the other, or both helping the meat of the concept to clarify itself in their minds.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect." - Mark Twain