Current time: 04-24-2014, 01:52 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Renewal with Coupon
08-02-2007, 12:44 AM
Renewal with Coupon
Is it possible to renew with a coupon. I used the $97 off coupon when I first registered, but now I'm due for renewal the 'Pay with gift certificate' isn't recognising any coupon codes. Is it possible to use a $97 coupon with renewal or do I have to register a new account?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-02-2007, 01:16 AM
Renewal with Coupon
Promo codes are meant for new customers signing up with DreamHost for the first time. Therefore, it is not possible to use a promo code to renew your accout. By opening a new accout, you are not complying with DreamHost's Terms of Service and may get your account suspened.

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Check Out DreamHost Promo Codes
08-02-2007, 07:08 AM
Renewal with Coupon
You can *purchase* gift certificates to give to your friends, relatives, or strangers (or even me). It's these gift certificates that the page you're looking at is referring to.

As infinitaus points out, promo codes are only good for new customers.

The hope is that through referring some friends (or readers of your site), your referrals can defray some of your hosting renewal cost!

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code FLENSFREEIP67 or use FLENS97 for $97 off. Click here for more options
Find all posts by this user
08-02-2007, 07:29 AM
Renewal with Coupon
Just to expand on new accounts being a TOS violation... they also log domains that are used with promo code accounts and won't let them be added to a new account.

The good news is that you're still better off than being at a host that wouldn't have given you $97 off of the first year, or expanded your bandwidth/disk space every week you were there. Wink

--------------------------------------------------------
Tongue Save up to $96 at Dreamhost with ALMOST97 promo code (I get $1).
Or save $97 with THEFULL97.
08-02-2007, 08:05 AM
Renewal with Coupon
Thanks for the replies. It's a shame because Dreamhost are a great host. I can't justify spending that amount on hosting though, so I've switched to another host.
08-02-2007, 08:48 AM
Renewal with Coupon
Quote:It's a shame because Dreamhost are a great host.
I suspect that what makes them great are the features and support that require them to charge more than the $1.87 a month that they offer for the first year.

I would much rather spend the extra $6.08 a month and get the great service you mentioned than pay less for less service.

But, everyone has their price points and there's nothing wrong with yours. Remember that you will be welcomed back in the future but that, unfortunately, you won't be able to use a promo code when you return.

Good luck and best wishes!

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code FLENSFREEIP67 or use FLENS97 for $97 off. Click here for more options
11-11-2010, 07:44 PM
RE: Renewal with Coupon
(08-02-2007 01:16 AM)infinitaus Wrote:  Promo codes are meant for new customers signing up with DreamHost for the first time. Therefore, it is not possible to use a promo code to renew your accout. By opening a new accout, you are not complying with DreamHost's Terms of Service and may get your account suspened.

So you mean, he can still renew his coupon with new promo code or he can still use his promo code to renew his coupon? Because you said that it is not possible to use a promo code to renew your account. So he still needs to register new account.
11-11-2010, 08:32 PM
(11-11-2010 07:44 PM)angeline12 Wrote:  
(08-02-2007 01:16 AM)infinitaus Wrote:  Promo codes are meant for new customers signing up with DreamHost for the first time. Therefore, it is not possible to use a promo code to renew your accout. By opening a new accout, you are not complying with DreamHost's Terms of Service and may get your account suspened.

So you mean, he can still renew his coupon with new promo code or he can still use his promo code to renew his coupon? Because you said that it is not possible to use a promo code to renew your account. So he still needs to register new account.

If he manages to create a new account using a promo code discount, when DH finds out he has done this, and we likely will, his account will be terminated for the fraudulent use of the discount promo code on the new account. There will be no notice, and no discount.

Promo codes discounts are available only once per person, and only for new customers who have never had a DreamHost account. Using them any other way is a violation of the Terms of Service, and will result in account termination.

--rlparker
--DreamHost Staff
01-15-2011, 11:24 AM
I have 3 domains registered w/Dreamhost -- now would like to have Dreamhost host them. Are there any coupons for this (like MaxCoupon 97...others?) Or are coupons exclusively for use when you first register domains? Thanks!
01-16-2011, 09:17 PM
Hey Bill, a while ago in this same forum I asked basically the same question you're asking. (See my post about possibly offering some promotions to current users once in a while. It's probably still on the first page of the index...) Anyway, so far the only answer seems to have been silence, which I assume I should take in the absolute negative. I admit it's also possible that nobody from Dreamhost who has any idea about the answer has yet seen the question and slightly less possible they'll see it later and answer or that something is in the works but they're set on a policy of utter secrecy so as not to tip off their competitors that a sale might be a good idea.

So no, I think you're stuck paying full price for everything, all the time, after you first open the account. Not that the full price is particularly bad, of course. There seems to be a certain subset of users who don't make much use of the bulk of Dreamhost features, though, and since I've been looking into this I've seen a couple of them take their money elsewhere. Of course I have no idea how they like their new service. Smile

I'm sure I'd love the Dreamhost model if I had hundreds of people who I could refer to Dreamhost for web-hosting services. I don't know that many people who need such service, though and since my web-presence is mostly of a personal nature, even if I did want to advertise on it, I wouldn't get many hits. So, what works for some works significantly less well for others.

Chris