Current time: 04-24-2014, 03:10 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Shared SSL Server
02-10-2004, 03:13 PM
Shared SSL Server
Hello! I was wondering something... I've had web hosting for probably a solid 9 years now and one thing I've noticed that DreamHost *doesn't* have is shared hosting on an SSL-enabled server. I was thinking about implementing an SSL login form on my personal site for my members so their password was not sent in plaintext.

On all the other hosting services that I've had, including my last one (about a year ago), we all had shared space on an SSL-enabled server that we could use for things like that. Granted it wasn't the most-abundant space, but with MySQL databases you really don't need that, just the secure transport from the client's computer to the server. I also used it for a couple payment forms to allow my customers to have an alternative option to cash, checks or money orders.

The shared SSL server was on a domain provided by the hosting provider and we just had account directories off of it with our main username, but it was sufficient for what we needed. My problem is that I want to balance my member's password security with what would be a relatively simple implementation with the cost of implementing it with DreamHost at a cost of over $150 for the process. Another option is to get SSL-only shared space with another hosting company in addition to DreamHost but I'd like to keep all of my stuff with the same great hosting here at DreamHost.

My question is this: Is DreamHost planning on implementing something like this (or does it now? lol), or would the only option be to setup something intended for a full eCommerce WebSite?

Thanks! =O)
Find all posts by this user
02-10-2004, 03:21 PM
Shared SSL Server
We are not planning on implementing something like this.

I believe we did have something like this a long time ago... I think there are some problems which come up from this - for instance if a user were to use this certificate in some sort of scheme to defraud users or something.

There's also the logistical hassle / expense of creating certificates for each machine or Apache instance.

You can generate a self-signed cert and use it for your users; you'd need a plan which includes SSL (Code Warrior does, and is on sale for $20 right now), and a unique IP.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-10-2004, 03:57 PM
Shared SSL Server
Alrighty, that's all I really needed to know. I'm just going to go signup for shared SSL for $6.95/month to use for this. It's a shame, though. It could be remedied by something as simple as ID verification by faxing something or whatever, but oh well. Thanks for the info!
02-10-2004, 04:45 PM
Cheaper Solution...
OK, just upgraded my plan to Code Monster (thanks for the advice, didn't even look to see there was a sale lol). From what I saw on the price comparison page it says that $4.95/mo is the price for a unique IP address needed for the SSL certificate. I've found the InstantSSL offer for an SSL certificate for $49/yr.

Now here's a question: Can I create a subdomain, use the unique IP address on it, buy and install an InstantSSL certificate on the subdomain and essentially create my own secure server on a subdomain? Thanks in advance! =O)
02-10-2004, 04:56 PM
Cheaper Solution...
If this is just for your users, and you can get them to accept the certificate warning, you can generate a self-signed certificate (for free). Google around for how to do this using OpenSSL - I believe all the necessary tools should be installed on our web machines.
02-10-2004, 06:01 PM
Cheaper Solution...
OK, thanks!
03-19-2004, 01:30 PM
Cheaper Solution...
hmm.. i might try this too

All i need is a plan that allows for SSL, right?
04-01-2004, 09:28 AM
Cheaper Solution...
Yep.

I just checked and *all* of the existing DH plans are SSL-aware, so all you have to do is:
1. Gen your SSL key (email me if you have any questions on how to do this)
2. Select the "Domains" tab on the left-hand margin of your DH panel.
3. Then select the "Manage" sub-tab.
4. Then the "Add new service to <your domain name >" link.
5. Next, select the "Secure Web Service (https)" link.
.....next you'll be presented with a page that asks for your
SSL Certificate
SSL Key
(I selected the defaults and saved my SSL Cert and Key).

6. Wait about an hour and you should be ready to go.