Current time: 04-23-2014, 09:21 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Worst hosting company I have ever worked with
06-23-2007, 09:18 AM
Turned off our service with one day notice citing a script that was consuming too much CPU which had been running fine for 6 months.
Asked them to turn it back on.
3 days later finally turned the DNS back on
However they removed all our files so the service still doesn't work
Customer service responds in days and it is now 5 days since our service was down and we still don't have a resolution
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-23-2007, 10:05 AM
Hm....

Fortunately, I don't get those problems so far. How many hosting company you ever had before ? And why you switched to DH ?

Dino

Get YOUR $97 off on yearly plan with YOUGET97 promo code. Sign Up NOW
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-23-2007, 11:20 AM
Quote:Turned off our service with one day notice citing a script that was consuming too much CPU which had been running fine for 6 months.
Yeah, it sucks when a script runs amok on a shared server Sad . Good Luck, I hope you get it sorted sooner rather than later.

Do you have a question, or need any help, or just expressing your frustration?

--rlparker
06-23-2007, 11:46 AM
Quote:Turned off our service with one day notice citing a script that was consuming too much CPU which had been running fine for 6 months.
1. Have you verified that it was a well-behaving script that wasn't using too much CPU?
2. Did you recently experience an uptick in popularity that triggered the extra CPU? I mean after all, an inefficient script that is only called once a day is very different from an inefficient script that is called once a second.
3. Did you write the script yourself or is it part of a package? If the latter, what script is it?

Quote:Asked them to turn it back on.
3 days later finally turned the DNS back on
However they removed all our files so the service still doesn't work
Did you tell them that you were going to rework the scripts to play nice on shared hosting? If you just intend to turn on a script that support feels has a deleterious effect on your shared server, they're unlikely to just leave you in a position to do so easily.

Quote:Customer service responds in days and it is now 5 days since our service was down and we still don't have a resolution
Being down is an awful situation and I feel for you. Are you looking for advice on how to:
1. improve your working relationship with DreamHost support?
2. optimize the script in question or find an alternative?
3. determine if DreamHost support was correct in their assessment of the impact of your script?
4. proactively monitor your resource utilization to prevent this from happening again?

BTW, I know I'll get slammed for this, but *if* this script was having a bad effect on the server, then shutting it down until it can be fixed is just the right thing to do to help those folks like da1prophet over in over in this thread in the General Troubleshooting forum. Was this script getting hit a lot between 10am EDT and 3pm EDT? It's a long shot!

Anyway, I do feel for you in this situation and hope it works out. Let us know if you need any advice on how to proceed or with debugging and optimization, etc.

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code FLENSFREEIP67 or use FLENS97 for $97 off. Click here for more options
06-23-2007, 01:18 PM
Well if your service gets popular then would be concerned.

I have been using hosting services since 1992 when there were about 4.

They were recommended by a consultant we were working with
06-23-2007, 01:21 PM
Yeah but I doubt that is the case It is more likely the site got popular. We would have been happy to move to another server or a dedicated server but we were given a DAY and then they shut it off!
06-23-2007, 01:24 PM
Can't verify what isn't runnin. Ran for 6 months just fine. Could be getting more traffic, but would have been thrilled to pay or a upgrade had we been given the choice

I would love to know how to get someone on the phone. We could probably resolve this in 10 min. No one answers the phone as far as we can tell
06-23-2007, 01:30 PM
Another consideration is security. Check your access logs, if it was a brute force attack or bot then that should clear your site as the cause of the problem. A lot of the malicious spiders and other bots are poorly developed, if it gets stuck on something it can easily end up in a loop. It doesn't clear your account but should remove any concern about restoring your files.

If your site supports user uploads, posting scripts, or in some cases images, then check the raw logs. DH should give you access to the backup to download for local testing, rip it apart and figure out what happened.

I can't think of anything else, beyond the suggestions above.

-MegaBurn
06-23-2007, 03:27 PM
Quote:Turned off our service with one day notice citing a script that was consuming too much CPU
That's horrible! They should have just let it go, so the hundreds of other users on the server could be here posting threads like this!

Quote:I would love to know how to get someone on the phone.
Talk about an odd coincidence... they don't offer phone support and you can't get support on the phone.

If your account comes with call-backs, you could request one of those. Otherwise, it's ticket-only.

--------------------------------------------------------
Tongue Save up to $96 at Dreamhost with ALMOST97 promo code (I get $1).
Or save $97 with THEFULL97.
06-23-2007, 03:54 PM
They didn't say it was impacting anyone else nor did they provide documentation as to how much CPU.

As I said we would have fixed or paid for it to be moved to another server had we gotten the chance!

No you can't get *anyone* on the phone even someone to get us a better server.

Yeah the ticket system works great we are now on day 5.

Given how helpful everyone else has been on these boards I am surprised by your attiude and approach. Do you work for DH?