Current time: 04-24-2014, 06:33 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Pros + cons of multiple domains on 1 hosting plan
05-12-2007, 05:57 PM
Pros + cons of multiple domains on 1 hosting plan
Hi all,

I am thinking of adding new (top level) domains to my hosting plan on Dreamhost.

I just wondered whether there are any other pros and cons apart from the obvious such as having to share the bandwidth and disk space between the domains? (Which is negligible, considering the quota, anyway!)

Would the different domain names appear effectively separate on the net? Or would there be any kind of association between them? (e.g. same IP.)

Many thanks!

Mark
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-12-2007, 07:17 PM
Pros cons of multiple domains on 1 hosting p
Maybe I'm not the best at this kind of stuff...

but I'm pretty sure there will be no association between the two... but they will share the same IP, but that IP is also shared with the other people on your server so it doesn't really matter. If you don't want to share an IP for whatever reason you have you can buy an unique IP from dreamhost.

Get $50 Off all hosting packages with promo code: MADD50 (Sign Up Here)
05-12-2007, 07:29 PM
Pros + cons of multiple domains on 1 hosting p
No cons. The pros are that you can add as many domains as you want with one account.

If you care about IPs, you can also add unique ones for a monthly fee. But it really doesn't matter. As far as search engines go, being in the same IP range isn't going to matter unless you're planning on some sort of SE spam/linking scheme.

--------------------------------------------------------
Tongue Save up to $96 at Dreamhost with ALMOST97 promo code (I get $1).
Or save $97 with THEFULL97.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-12-2007, 07:33 PM
Pros cons of multiple domains on 1 hosting p
Your own domains won't necessarily share the same IP. The IPs will be shared, but your account isn't assigned a specific IP.

There are IPs that have about 10 of my sites on them, then there are others where 1 of mine shares an IP with a bunch of other customers.

I'm glad they do that. It semi-defeats reverse-IP lookups if someone's trying to find all of your domains. With your average CPanel account, they'll all be on the same IP.

This is especially good for customers that resell and host others, since it can help keep a competitor from spamming all of your clients.

--------------------------------------------------------
Tongue Save up to $96 at Dreamhost with ALMOST97 promo code (I get $1).
Or save $97 with THEFULL97.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-12-2007, 07:36 PM
Each of the multiple domains is it's own "entity" on the net, and that fact that they are hosted on a single account woulod not even be apparent to a visitor *they could see that they are both hosted on DH, but not that they are hosted on your single account).

As you correctly deduced, sharing the bandwidth and the disk storage is a bit of a moot point, as the quotas are so generous.

The only other things I think you should consider are the mail and CPU/memory resource quotas (Though there is not longer a "hard" CPU minute quota), which are managed by *user*.

For this reason, while it might be very convenient to manage all the sites under a single user, I strongly recommend that you set up a seperate user for *each* domain; that way if one domain has a script run amok, or if the traffic there causes heavier than expected email usage (login confirmations, email update notifications, etc.) you will some extra breathing room, and stand a beter chance of not having *all* your sites go down because of problems/traffic with a single site.

--rlparker
05-12-2007, 07:44 PM
Hi rlparker,

That sounds like a great idea, but do you suggest assigning a different user name to each domain all within the same single account?

Thanks

phipster
05-12-2007, 08:09 PM
Quote:That sounds like a great idea, but do you suggest assigning a different user name to each domain all within the same single account?
Yes, that is what I am suggesting. It is inconvenient in that you either have to set up some groups/permissions to make it easier for you to manage all the domains or simply log in as the desired user when working on a particular site (which is what I do), but I think it is worth the extra effort.

It keeps the sites nicely segregated *and* provides the advantages previously mentioned. Additionally, should you decide to delegate some access to the site owner, or another developer, you have not "dropped your pants" completely and displayed *all* your sites! Smile

--rlparker
05-13-2007, 04:26 AM
Hi all,

Thanks for all the replies!
Rlparker, when you recommend setting up a separate user for each domain, can you do this within a single hosting account, or do you mean purchasing a separate hosting account for each domain?

Many thanks,

Mark
05-13-2007, 05:51 AM
You get up to 75 users even on level 1 accounts, so no reason to buy separate hosting.

http://www.dreamhost.com/hosting.html

$1 for me << SE7ENOF9 | SE7ENOF97 >> All for you
05-13-2007, 06:21 AM
Whenever you create a Fully Hosted Domain, you select the Owner from an existing list of users you created, or a New User. When you select New User, then it'll prompt you for the typical user account info.

-Scott