Current time: 04-19-2014, 10:44 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Files Forever - No loans
05-09-2007, 04:04 AM
Files Forever - No loans
I want to use Files forever to sell animations and 3d models. It sure looks good but one this is nagging.

If someone buys a file from me for 10$ through files forever, he can loan it to his friend for free, right? So, in this way the buyer is pirating my file. So, when I could get 2 customers I can get only one.

Can this be stopped? Can I prevent my buyers from loaning my products/files to others?

Any help please?

Satyajit
Find all posts by this user
05-09-2007, 07:16 PM
Files Forever - No loans
You can't.

Either that or only sell to people you trust.

This is a problem that the RIAA and the MPAA have been fighting. If you have a good product for a reasonable price the honest people will pay you for it. Not everyone is honest, unfortunately.

Wholly - Use promo code WhollyMindless for full 97$ credit. Let me know if you want something else!
Find all posts by this user
04-18-2008, 10:42 AM
Files Forever - No loans
can't you password some of the files, and have the password expire after 1 use or something?

Promotional Code: 2DOMAINSFREE2 Free Domain Names for the life of your hosting!)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-18-2008, 10:10 PM
Files Forever - No loans
Once a file has been bought, it can be re-downloaded by the buyer, as many times as the buyer wants, forever. It can also be loaned by the buyer, one person at a time, to as many people as the buyer wants, forever. There is no single use password system in the Files Forever service.

Of course, that doesn't stop you from trying to create such a system yourself. Catch is, the goal of ensuring that only paid customers can get your file, and can only do so once, is fundamentally impossible to achieve.

I wouldn't personally spend too much time worrying about doing the impossible, though, since if your content is good and your price is fair, most everyone who would be willing to pay for your content will.
04-19-2008, 09:02 AM
Files Forever - No loans
Quote:If someone buys a file from me for 10$ through files forever, he can loan it to his friend for free, right? So, in this way the buyer is pirating my file. So, when I could get 2 customers I can get only one.
This type of customer could just as easily upload your files to a file server and hand out the link.

Quote:Can this be stopped? Can I prevent my buyers from loaning my products/files to others?
Not unless the program that you are making your models for has the ability to protect extracted models on a per-machine basis using a specific Import function.

As Alpicola has already suggested, you'd be better off not worrying about things you have no control over (ie. piracy) and concentrate on supplying content that people will be more than happy to pay for. Perhaps a Shopping Cart might be worth a look in your case too, as that keeps things a little more personal.

Maximum Cash Discount on any plan with MAXCASH