Current time: 04-20-2014, 04:33 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Advanced PHP Configuration
03-26-2007, 06:44 AM
Before I start, I have to say that I'm pretty much a newb when it comes to PHP and, more importantly, the UNIX shell.

OK...

I wanted to increase the php upload limit for my site and, after some digging, came across this: http://wiki.dreamhost.com/index.php/Adva...figuration.

I got up to step six, which asks me to run the command:

./php-update.sh

I am then instructed to correct any errors I encounter before moving on. Like I said before, I'm pretty much a newb, so when I was confronted by this: http://tonjevic.net/downloads/phptroubles.JPG I was stumped. I tried a whole bunch of things, but to no avail.
Basically, what I need is the exact line I need to type to make it work. That's inclusive of all argments and where it needs to be put, and so on; I'm too unskilled to be trusted.

I'm not sure if this should be put into the Beginner's Forum rather than Programming, but help on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Tonjevic
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-26-2007, 07:05 AM
Quote:http://wiki.dreamhost.com/index.php/Adva...figuration
I'm afraid I don't know how to solve your problem, but I'd like to make a point about this so that others who stumble upon this post will take heed. I am not singling you out in particular, but rather people who attempt this technique in general. At the very top of the quoted wiki link, it clearly states the following:

Quote:The instructions provided in this article or section are considered advanced.
You are expected to be knowledgeable in the UNIX shell.
Support for these instructions is not available from DreamHost tech support.
This really should be considered advanced stuff. Novice-level web programmers should not be even attempting to do anything like this. If you find yourself in this position, it is better to pay a web designer with Shell experience to do the job. There are several wiki articles of this nature. Some include editing of the php.ini file, and others include complete installations of PHP itself. All of these articles are advanced, and have been marked accordingly. Please heed these warnings before attempting to follow them.

--------
si-blog | Keystone Websites
Save $97 on yearly plans with promo code SCJESSEY97
03-26-2007, 07:40 AM
Indeed.

I saw that, actually, and was considering whether I should add a part into my post that essentially said 'I saw that it says I should know about it, so don't worry if you don't want to answer; it's not vital'.

I guess I'm not likely to find my answer, but that's OK. Maybe I'll check out some of the other articles.

Thanks anyway. Your post was useful in directing me to look closer at the wiki.