Current time: 04-23-2014, 11:05 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

streaming video
11-23-2003, 01:11 AM
streaming video
I posted a question about Video streaming and was kindly referred to the below link.

https://panel.dreamhost.com/kbase/index....=quicktime

While helpful, I need something more basic.....like other formats...

I understand QT is a format as well as a browser for other formats. I also understand that some people have other browsers like Real Networks for Realaudio and video.

What I want to know is, if my students create a video (dv--digital video) and then somehow upload it to the server, they want it to be viewable by people who have MORE than one browser. So I am not sure, the instructions in above link
talk about preparing (hinting) a file for quicktime streaming.

What if "x" user has another one like the realnetworks browser.

Do they have to upload/prepare different file versions for the different users?

What it bils down to is this:

POST RECORDING (of video and audio for that matter)

(1) How to prepare files
--Ok, quicktime is Hinted. What about other file types? @

(2) How to uoload the file
--upload in various forms?

(3) Is Quicktime enabling required for other file types? I have already enabled Quicktime Streaming and wonder about where to put other files.

Apologize if thies seems too basic, but even help from
Support gave the same answer with the above link. probably how I asked the question.

Thanks

paul

paul in japan
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-23-2003, 03:00 PM
streaming video
I think you have two basic options for video streaming on Dreamhost: Quicktime and RealVideo.

Both are proprietary formats that need to prepared before they can be viewed, so unfortunately, it's not as simple as your students filming and uploading.

What they would need to do is convert the raw video (.mpg, I'm assuming) and make conversions to the .mov and/or .rm formats.

You can complicate the process even more by making multiple versions of each format (ex: one RealVideo stream for users with broadband and one for users on dial-up).

I believe both companies have free software downloads to do this, so you could expand your students' assignment to include these additional downloads and installations, or you might just make a single computer available at your school with the right software for the job.

Another option is to just upload the .mpg video and have viewers watch online with something like Windows Media Player... not quite what you want, based on your other postings.

The Dreamhost Kbase is a good place to read up about Quicktime. If you go to http://www.real.com you can download either the free or commercial versions of their ripper.
Find all posts by this user
11-23-2003, 11:16 PM
streaming video
streaming video is not a simple point and click operation, this is for sure. Even if you take great pains to make sure everything's hooked up properly, a great number of user's systems will drop the ball for you - and you can do nothing to prevent it.

1) how to prepare files:
you say you're using dv - capture that to your machine in it's raw native format, AVI for Win, MOV for Mac, these files will be massive massive files. Then use some type of editing software (Adobe Premiereis what I use) to edit the video as desired, then export it to whatever format you decide to use.

I normally have been using WinMedia codecs, 8 and 9 versions to output the WMV format (WMA for audio) and have been really happy with them until I started using Firebird. If you have a 99% Win/IE audience it'll most likely be fine. Go to the msdn and look for material on WMX or ASX files, they're pointers(hints) that help stream the WMV/WMA files.

MOV, MPG, DivX are all fine stuff in their own ways. I love DivX's quality/compression but it doesn't stream.

2) How to uoload the file
ftp Wink

3) Is Quicktime enabling required for other file types?
No, see #1 and the MSDN for streaming WMVs, some mpeg types will sorta stream naturally, AVI and DivX are download-then-watch but you can upload em, link em, download and watch, no worries.

good luck.

jason
11-24-2003, 09:57 AM
streaming video
I haven't done it myself, but I believe there is a way to post the video so it can be seen by individuals who don't have any of the video browsers. This is done by actually embedding the viewer and movie into a web page.

I remember reading a simple tutorial about it at http://www.htmlgoodies.com/tutors/videoembed.html.

Like I said, I haven't done it, but I have visited sites where the WMP was embedded in the page.