Current time: 04-23-2014, 03:09 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Upgrade PHP version
01-10-2007, 06:48 PM
Upgrade PHP version
I see that DreamHost currently is running with PHP version 4.4.4, and I was wondering if they could upgrade to PHP 5, at least.

Thanks
Find all posts by this user
01-10-2007, 06:52 PM
Upgrade PHP version
You can select whether you want to run PHP4 or PHP5 yourself at any time; Dreamhost offers both pre-compiled and installed.

Just go to the Control Panel-->Manage Domains screen and click the "edit" link to the right side of the screen adjacent to the domain name on which you want to make a change.

From the next screen, select the appropriate radio button for the PHP version you wish to use and save the settings - you'll be good to go with the selected version in just a few minutes.

--rlparker
01-10-2007, 06:53 PM
Upgrade PHP version
You can switch to running PHP5 in the Control Panel (Manage Domains).

--------
Simon Jessey | Keystone Websites
Save $97 on yearly plans with promo code SCJESSEY97
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-10-2007, 06:58 PM
Upgrade PHP version
Oh, thanks.

Why is version 5 not the default?
01-10-2007, 07:05 PM
Upgrade PHP version
Quote:Why is version 5 not the default?
I have no idea, though, in my experience, a great many (maybe even most) commonly used scripts out there either still require register_globals_on (which is unfortunate) or are not yet upgraded to work properly with the default settings of PHP5 - generally speaking, I think PHP4 runs more stuff "out of the box" at this time.

A great many scripts that people try to run here are more easily run under DH's PHP4 than PHP5. I'd like to see that change, and I suspect it will in time. At any rate, that is just my "guess"; I'm sure DH has their reasons. Wink

--rlparker
01-10-2007, 07:09 PM
Upgrade PHP version
Thank you so much for the fast and helpful help! >,<
01-10-2007, 07:12 PM
Upgrade PHP version
You are most welcome; I try to help when I can. I think you will generally find a good level of "customer-to-customer" support here on the Forums, and there are some real experts that drop in here. Rock On!

--rlparker