Current time: 04-23-2014, 03:46 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

How can I turn off my site?
12-18-2006, 09:58 PM
Is there a way to turn off my site (the whole subdomain) temporarily without deleting the contents?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-18-2006, 10:22 PM
You could use htaccess to create a redirect that will redirected all your web pages to a single web page that has a message about your site being down.
Once your site is finished delete that htaccess file.
Try
RewriteRule ^([A-Za-z0-9-]+).html$ closed.html [R]
Upload the .htaccess into the top most directory you want redirected, this effects all subdirectories.
If this don't work, then maybe someone more qualified can help. lol.
Silk

My website
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-18-2006, 10:33 PM
Another 'quick and dirty' method is to simply rename the web accessible directory for the domain. This isn't as 'friendly' as silk's method, as it will generate a '404' error for any attempted accesses.

Mark

--
Save $50 on DreamHost hosting using promo code SAVEMONEY ( Click for promo code details )
12-28-2006, 07:32 AM
If you delete the sub-domain from the web-panel it not remove your data, meaning you simply have to re-add the subdomain to re-enable access when you are ready
12-28-2006, 07:41 AM
Quote:If you delete the sub-domain from the web-panel it not remove your data
If you use this method you should be aware that it can take some time for the A-Records associated with the sub-domain to be deleted from the DNS and while they are still present you will be unable to re-add the sub-domain.

In-fact, occasionally there is a system 'glitch' and these records are not deleted at all. Just today I had to request that such A-Records be deleted from a domain of mine, so that I could re-add a previously deleted sub-domain.

Mark

--
Save $50 on DreamHost hosting using promo code PRICESLASH ( Click for promo code details )
12-28-2006, 08:14 AM
You can also just select "Parked" on the domain manager and a new DH Coming soon page will be displayed.

Wholly
Find all posts by this user
12-29-2006, 10:11 AM
Maybe this:

.htaccess in your subdomain:

redirect 302 / http://www.mydomain.com/sorry.php

The sorry file (or whatever you name it) could just say "sorry, subdomain BLAH is not currently available."

Read my blog. You know you want to...