Current time: 04-18-2014, 11:42 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Best way to let kids upload without full access
12-08-2006, 12:40 PM
Ok...can anyone tell me the best way to handle this? I have websites for my kids on my account. They know nothing about websites, but want to be able to upload stuff.
1. I love them to death, but don't want them near my server files and directories.
2. I could set them up a DH account, transfer the domains to them and their own ID's, but don't want them near their own important server files and directories.
Most people would be ok saying, "Ok here you go...but don't touch these." Unfortunately, my kids are smart enough to be a danger to themselves, if you know what I mean, LOL.
Thanks in advance for all your advice.
Bj.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-08-2006, 02:32 PM
That would depend entirely on how you want to set up their websites. If you want to give them access to upload things to only a specific directory, one way to do it would be to create individual user accounts for your kids, and then within the shell, chown each directory you *don't* want them to be able to alter to your own user. If I had an idea of what software you wanted to give them access to, I could give you a bit better instructions on how to go about setting it up. Perhaps some clarification of what exactly you want then to be able to do is in order?

Yes, I have an opinion.

Get a minimum 50% off with the "haveadreamyday" promo code, and... have a dreamy day. Original, no?
12-08-2006, 05:43 PM
When creating a user, that user does not have access to your files, unless you give them shell access.
Just create a new user, then remap a sub directory, select the user name and make up a sub directory.
That user will now have access to the web and can not see your files, nor can you see theirs. So to access their files you need their username and password.
You will have to walk them through getting to their directory the first time though as it is a few levels down. But if you have an ftp program like filezilla, it can remember what directory it accessed last. Which will make it a lot easier for them.
In the control panel you can also set how much drive space to give them, because I beleive the default is the entire drive space alloted to you.
Hope this helps,
Silk

My website
12-08-2006, 10:21 PM
Best way to let kids upload without full acces
Quote:I have websites for my kids on my account. They know nothing about websites, but want to be able to upload stuff.
I too am currently considering the alternatives for my two children (15 and 16 years old). The eldest has no real interest in learning the details, but she wants a net presence beyond her current MySpace page. The youngest is a bit of a worry, he knows enough to get himself into all kinds of trouble (I knew it was a mistake to buy him a laptop Smile ).

Anyway, I have (almost) decided that the best option for my children is a domain each with some kind of content management system pre-installed, maybe WordPress. I do realise that it will be up to me to keep the install updated, but, with the DreamHost one-click updates, I don't think that will be too time consuming.

Perhaps a similar CMS solution would be the right thing for your children.

Mark

--
Save $50 on DreamHost hosting using promo code SAVEMONEY ( Click for promo code details )
12-08-2006, 10:32 PM
I have a family domain and in such situations, create a subdomain for extra uses and users. You could try kid1.mydomain.com and kid2.mydomain.com
It's fairly isolated in that subdomains are a bit lower on the radar, and they are completely separate from the main domain.

I like Raz's suggestion for using a CMS such as WordPress, but it does depend on what your kids want in a site. When I was a kid, though, I had to code HTML on a manual typewriter.

-Scott
Find all posts by this user
12-08-2006, 10:42 PM
When I was a kid ASCII was still pretty neato.

Wholly
Find all posts by this user
12-09-2006, 02:15 PM
Thanks Mark. They actually have Gallery set up for uploading pictures. They do fine with that and they love it. However, now...one child wants to learn .html and design his own homepage and be able to add pages. The other one wants to be able to upload video of her new baby.
12-09-2006, 02:27 PM
Thanks quanin for your reply. Well, as I was telling Mark...there are three sites - each with their own domain under my account. Each of the three sites have Gallery installed. I only installed the family blog on one domain (not included in these three) to see if they would use it first. So far...the blog has had no play. Consequently, I haven't thought of adding it to the three sites.

This was another consideration I had...give them each their own shorthand CMS in the form of a blog, but that only satisfies one need for one child...the one that wants to upload video. (*They really are all grown up adults)

Now the chown instruction in your reply MIGHT be over my head. Perhaps I need to educate myself about it. Maybe that is what I need?
12-09-2006, 02:30 PM
Thank you silkrooster for your help. Problem is...everything is already installed, so I don't want deal with moving it all.

Part of your reply does help one child though...it would allow her to upload.
12-09-2006, 02:34 PM
Thanks Scott...I wish I would have thought of that...sounds much easier. However, like I said, they have their own Domain Names and Domains setup already.