Current time: 04-24-2014, 09:23 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Webmail2
05-06-2003, 02:42 PM
Webmail2
Whatever happened to the rollout of webmail2?

I can't access it anymore and squirrelmail's shortcomings are starting to get on my nerves. I'd like to make the clean cut from the Hotmails and Yahoos of the world, but I need a good web interface to make it happen.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-11-2003, 08:29 PM
Webmail2
Oh yes please. My customers are losing email that they write in squirrel mail, which is (understandably) pissing them off.
05-16-2003, 06:54 AM
Webmail2
yep bump yep

jason
05-20-2003, 03:03 AM
Webmail2
I might be alone here but when Ihave to use webmail I find Squirrelmail fine.

So do my users.

Tancred
05-20-2003, 03:31 AM
Webmail2
With the PAID model (not in the free days), everyone.net is really good: faster, more reliable and ad-free. Do you guys (at DreamHost) think it's possible to negotiate a better deal on behalf of ALL your clients (while getting a little commissions)? Wink

--------------------------
nameslave.com: Buy and sell pre-owned domain names commission-free
nameslave.ca: Knows a thing or two about dot-ca
Moderator@DNForum.com/HostHideout.com
05-21-2003, 07:10 PM
Webmail2
It's possible to install your own version of squirrelmail in your own webspace. That way you can have whatever extensions you want and can run with the latest version.

Or you can even install another web-based mail client such as Horde/IMP. (not an easy feat to accomplish, but it is doable.)

--Brian
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-25-2003, 02:24 PM
Webmail2
Thanks to all who have responded, I appreciate hearing all the opinions out there.

BUT...

Nobody ever responded whether they know anything about the webmail2 rollout. I assume the beta is complete since it's no longer up... was the beta a success or has the decision been made not to continue?

Just wondering.
05-25-2003, 02:28 PM
Webmail2
I do like the idea of doing my own install and will check that out. I know this runs against the sentiment of some in the tech community, but I figure why reinvent the wheel when there's a perfectly good one already.

My primary frustration with Squirrelmail has been with the address book (or lack thereof) functions. No importing, no adding addresses from emails, no alias lists, etc.

Everything else I can deal with... it's actually a decent program and interface, it's just the minimal install makes it not an entirely usable end solution.
05-27-2003, 11:09 AM
Webmail2
Quote:My primary frustration with Squirrelmail has been with the address book (or lack thereof) functions.

For what it's worth, webmail2 was even more deficient in that particular regard.

We did (do?) have the addressbook import plugin enabled, but it didn't ever work properly - once we upgrade, though, it may work better. You could consider installing a newer Squirrelmail locally. I think an upgrade is definitely in order at this point - we've been planning to do one for a little while now. I'll try to make sure it gets done before early next week.

Despite the complaints we've had, I think that Squirrelmail is better than any other webmail system I've seen (from a user perspective, anyway). IMHO, webmail in general is annoying - I've never seen a system that really works that well for long-term use.

For people not totally tied into a web interface, I'd highly suggest using Pine (or mutt, if you're a geek) instead of webmail wherever possible.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-30-2003, 01:20 PM
Webmail2
Hi Brian,

Does this mean you got it working? I know less than you do about the *nix environment (I run Win2k-based web servers), but want to get Horde/IMP working just as much for an exercise as to actually use Smile