Current time: 04-24-2014, 01:52 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

find out which server i'm on
04-23-2003, 01:39 AM
Hi there.

Actually, the subject is misleading. However, I signed an account up on behalf of a client of mine, and I want to know how I can find out which server his domain is on, since the email was sent to his address, and I want to copy over all the files before I point the domain at dreamhost.

I looked all through the admin panel, which is excellent, but I think it could benefit from a simple informational page that said something like: "You are on server xxx.dreamhost.com. The path to Perl is blah. The PHP version is blah. etc. and so on."

Anyone?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-23-2003, 02:23 AM
On the sidebar, you want to click on "domains", and then "manage".

It lists all the domains and what servers each uses for web and for mail.
04-23-2003, 02:24 AM
In the Admin Panel, click on 'Domains -> Manage' and it will tell you what server which services are hosted on for all your domains.

MySQL databases are not listed there but can be found under the Goodies -> MySQL tab or the Status -> MySQL Usage tab.

Hope this helps.

- wil
Find all posts by this user
04-23-2003, 02:30 AM
Quote:I looked all through the admin panel, which is excellent, but I think it could benefit from a simple informational page that said something like: "You are on server xxx.dreamhost.com. The path to Perl is blah. The PHP version is blah. etc. and so on."
OK The others answered your question about the servers, but for the other stuff, such as paths, permissions, etc. click on the "Knowledge Base" link in the upper right hand corner of the admin panel. The link in the admin panel points to questions about using the admin panel, so at the top of the page click on the "DreamHost" link to see the sections about other DreamHost services. Basically almost everything you might need to know at this point is already there.
04-23-2003, 02:40 AM
Hey: thanks; that solves my issue.

As for my comments, I didn't mean to imply that the Knowledge Base didn't kick ass; it's just the amount of quick "get up and running" informatrion is so incredibly predictable, that I think the panel could benefit from have some sort of information screen pop up, at least the first time you log in.

Like, "hey, welcome to Dreamhost...here's the basics to get you going".

Searching a knowledge base is fine, but being able to instantly see (for example) the PHP version on your particular server, at the particular time you need that information is critical, IMO.

Just to clarify my point: I searched the knowledge base for "PHP version", and came up with: version 4.2.1 as of June 2002...not particularly recent information.

I guess I got spoiled at my last host, because on the screen at all times, in small print, it said:

PHP version: 4.2.3
Perl version: 5.005
MySQL version 3.23.55
...and other useful stuff, like path to Perl/sendmail, etc.

So, when I logged in, I could instantly see if they had upgraded anything or whatever.
04-23-2003, 02:41 AM
You should never trust static documentation when it is so easy to check the current values.

The "which" command and "find" command will tell you the path to useful executables.

For instance "which perl" searches the path, and finds the path for perl.

And "find / -name sendmail" searches the whole drive and reports the location of all files and directories named sendmail.
04-23-2003, 04:14 AM
You say you were spoilt by your hosting provider as they only offered you Perl 5.005? ;-)

- wil
Find all posts by this user
04-23-2003, 10:59 PM
Quote:Just to clarify my point: I searched the knowledge base for "PHP version", and came up with: version 4.2.1 as of June 2002...not particularly recent information.
Noticed that too. But then I remember PHP can tell you a bunch of cool stuff itself using phpinfo() - might need to know more than just the version.