Current time: 04-24-2014, 12:45 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Create a subdomain?
07-04-2006, 09:05 PM
Create a subdomain?
I'm trying to create a subdomain, but I get an error.
At the DH Control Panel Manage Domains page, I enter sub.domain.com, then I get the message:
Uh oh! Please fix the 1 error below:
Domain to host: sub.domain.com
Can't add domain: we set this sub-domain up automatically for you.

How do I add a subdomain the right way? For example forum.website.com, to be pointed to website.com/forum?
Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-04-2006, 09:15 PM
Create a subdomain?
You're probably trying to add a subdomain like mail.dreamhost.com or webmail.dreamhost.com. Those sub-domains are already set up for you becuase they're reserved for certin services - mail is for checking your E-mail from outlook or Tunderbird, webmail is obvious.

If you're wanting your own install of a webmail program to be aviable at webmail.domain.com it might be possible to remove that service so you can use that subdomain, but the easiest thing would be to simply choose a different name.

--Matttail
art.googlies.net - personal website
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-05-2006, 02:16 AM
Create a subdomain?
Quote:How do I add a subdomain the right way? For example forum.website.com, to be pointed to website.com/forum?
Subdomains don't work that way on DH; subdomains directories are completely separate from the main domain's directoy (e.g. sub.domain.com is separate from domain.com/sub). You can remap subdirectories to produce a similar effect to what you described, although it's not the same thing.

---
Save $97 on all yearly plans with the promo code DREAMZAP
07-05-2006, 06:25 AM
Create a subdomain?
I'm thinking that you're trying to add a subdomain for a domain that doesn't exist at DreamHost. You need to add the domain first.

Of course that only works if you control that domain's DNS, either at DreamHost, or somewhere else.

-Scott
07-05-2006, 06:35 PM
Create a subdomain?
You are right, I was using mail.domain.com, using email.domain.com solved the problem. Smile
07-14-2006, 01:12 PM
Create a subdomain?
It's possible to set up a redirected subdomain that goes to a URL within a different domain (either one hosted in your account or elsewhere).

-- Dan
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user