Current time: 04-19-2014, 12:35 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Publicly displaying IP addresses (cross-post)
03-19-2003, 04:16 PM
I was hoping to get your opinions on whether or not I should publicly display the IP addresses of my site's visitors.

The scenario is this: I use visitor tracking software on my site and thought it would be fun to allow my visitors to see what other visitors are up to, e.g. what search terms were used to find me, what browser/OS visitors are using, etc.

The tracking software I use also displays visitor's IP addresses. Do you think I should omit this information from the display and if so, why?

Thanks in advance,

Jennifer
http://jennifermadden.com
Find all posts by this user
03-19-2003, 04:45 PM
(I'm going to cross-post too, but in the future please try to limit posts to a single forum - thanks!)

Quote:The tracking software I use also displays visitor's IP addresses.
Do you think I should omit this information from the display and if
so, why?

Well, it depends. As a web user I would have concerns if my IP address is directly linked in any way to both my identity and/or my search terms, and is public. Publicizing search terms or other info in such a way that it can't be linked back to a specific individual is, I think, okay.

Basically, keep your users' privacy in mind. Making public anything that links back to them personally should be considered very carefully.

You might want to think twice before making IP addresses public, too. If you have a community associated with your site and there's any chance someone might get into some sort of argument with someone else, having the IP address of one's "opponent" makes it a lot easier to do all sorts of nasty things to them (denial of service attacks, crack attempts, you name it). From a pure network security standpoint, you might want to consider keeping those IP addresses to yourself.

Just my opinion. :>

- Jeff @ DreamHost
- DH Discussion Forum Admin
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-20-2003, 02:22 AM
As long as you state this in your privacy policy and that only you see the IP addresses then I don't see much of a problem.

All web-savy users know that they transmit their IP address to your web server logs when they hit your site. If they are concerned about it they could always come through a proxy.

- wil
03-20-2003, 11:52 AM
Quote:All web-savy users know that they transmit their IP address to
your web server logs when they hit your site. If they are
concerned about it they could always come through a proxy.

I may have misunderstood, but I think the question was about sharing this information with other users.

One example would be if a forum puts the poster's IP address next to every post.

If it's just being logged, I agree that's not a very big deal. Most logs like that are used in aggregate, and aren't linked to specific people.

- Jeff @ DreamHost
- DH Discussion Forum Admin
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-21-2003, 12:49 AM
Oh, sorry. I misunderstood.

I don't think I would share that information. You do put some "trust" into the webmaster of a website you visit, I guess. In any case, this should be explicity spelt out on their privacy policy and give an option for users to delete their entries and/or turn this off?

- wil