Current time: 04-23-2014, 03:08 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

admin by cell phone?
03-07-2003, 03:47 PM
admin by cell phone?
I was wondering if anyone knew if it's possible to use a cell phone that's capable of sending text messages to email addresses, to admin a web site...

What I was thinking of would be an on/off toggle on the site. It's simple enough to make a little admin form that will alow you to toggle content on a page but I was wondering if it would be possible to do that via cell phone/email?

Any points in the right direction and/or hand-holding are much appreciated =)

jason
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-07-2003, 04:10 PM
admin by cell phone?
Using procmail filters, you could have an e-mail processed by a script or program as it is delivered. I haven't written that myself yet, but the documentation is there if you look for it. This method would not work for the mxxxxxx style mailboxes though.

The other way would be a cron job to run a script or program that uses POP3 or IMAP to access the mailbox. This could be done in Perl in no time, and would work with both user and mxxxxxx mailboxes. Here is the Perl module to use for POP3:

http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Product.../POP3.html
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-07-2003, 06:07 PM
admin by cell phone?
I don't see why not, as long as you write the appropriate script to parse the message and use procmail or something to feed it through.

We do a bunch of stuff this way, actually.

If you REALLY want to get into this, though, get a web-enabled cell phone. Much more flexible.

I have a Handspring Treo 300 on order (wee!) that will actually let me SSH into a machine, wirelessly. Gotta love technology.

- Jeff @ DreamHost
- DH Discussion Forum Admin
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-11-2003, 08:38 PM
admin by cell phone?
yeah yeah, if we all had web enabled cells life would be just grand =D thanks Jeff Tongue

thanks both of you, I appreciate the help

jason
Find all posts by this user