Current time: 04-23-2014, 03:46 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

1st day of NO service, thumbs down for dreamhost
05-14-2006, 07:02 AM
1st day of NO service, thumbs down for dreamhost
This is not a service welcoming to no tech savvy. I asked the support a simple thing to unpack my .tar file form the other host.

Instead of helping me they sent me telnet instruction. I have not used telnet for many years. And now after multiple tries I suspect that I unpacked the file into a wrong directory. I do not know how to navigate Telnet to my directory. They are not responding in timely manner and this is very disappointing on the 1st day of service.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-14-2006, 07:25 AM
1st day of NO service, thumbs down for dreamho
If you log in to the DreamHost Control Panel and then go to 'manage users' under the 'users' tab you can click on the [login now] option to use the built in webftp facility. You can then move your files about or delete as required.

You can perhaps use an untar program to untar on your own computer and then transfer them to your website.

Your web directory root is named after your domain name (example.com) so click on it and start from there.

You may want to read up on SSH in the dreamwiki here which you will find useful in maintaining your account.

--
Norm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-14-2006, 07:43 AM
I have a questioin I just noticed that when I log on into webftp.dreamhost.com/ I see the unpacked files in my root directory, while FireFTP via firefox does not see the files? Why?
05-14-2006, 07:45 AM
I can tell that you are frustrated, but do you really think that is the responsibility of the tech support staff to do more than to provide you instructions for what you want to do? Did you want them to unpack the tarball for you?

It seems of late that an increasing number of users expect to manage a web site without having made the first effort toward learning the most basic tools of the trade, and expect "tech support" to "hold their hands" through even the simplest of operations.

While a simple "google", or a trip to the DH Wiki, would easily provide plenty of step-by-step instructions for the basic *nix (Unix/Linux, et al.) shell commands to navicate directory structures, and how to handle tarballs, many users of this discussion forum (including myself) are generally happy to help new users with that sort of thing, though no one really likes to give their time helping those who seem more interesting in complaining than in learning how to help themselves.

You will find a very helpful group of people here to assist you in becoming sufficiently "tech savvy" to manage your website if you learn how to ask questions the smart way.

If you have a question, just ask and I'll try my best to help you out. If you just want to make a comment, or express an opinion, you are likely to get only another comment or opinion in reply.

Do you have a question I can help you with?
--rlparker
05-14-2006, 08:39 AM
I have a questioin I just noticed that when I log on into webftp.dreamhost.com/ I see the unpacked files in my root directory, while FireFTP via firefox does not see the files? Why?

In addition I have three FTP clients and I see different directories on each. Very confusing. It seems that I see more directories via
https://webftp.dreamhost.com/
05-14-2006, 08:58 AM
Do any of them start with a dot? If so, then this is considered a hidden directory, and some FTP clients aren't configured to see hidden directories.

-Scott
05-14-2006, 09:22 AM
We need more info. This is partially because I might be assuming you're using the correct terms (eg, root directory) but that could be a bad assumption and make more of a mess.

So if you can post things like:
- I uploaded my files to ftp://user@domain.com/domain.com/
- Now the files are at ftp://user@domain.com/domain.com/domain.com/

That will help. You don't have to provide your exact info.
05-14-2006, 09:45 AM
Folks, I think the problem was resolved.
FireFtp the FireFox client is evidently a buggy plugin. I had to delete the cash before I could see the new unpacked files that were correctly in my user directory. I think I am on my way of porting the blog to dreamhost. I already changed the dns setting with godaddy.

There are though hidden directories that I can see in
https://webftp.dreamhost.com/
and yes they do start with .dot

Some of them came from my former host, my attempts to delete them failed.

My next step is to figure out email setup. I am a little confused by the dreamhost panel options. Perhaps I should do Wiki on pop account set up. Any recommendations are appreciated.
05-14-2006, 11:39 AM
can you please help with pop settings for outlook. thanks
05-14-2006, 11:47 AM
Have a look in the wiki here.

--
Norm