Current time: 04-24-2014, 03:11 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Streaming is broken
05-10-2006, 04:35 PM
Streaming is broken
For several months I have tried and tried to contact DreamHost support in regards to a specific QuickTime Streaming feature. But I have been unable to get in touch with anyone who even has any idea what QTSS or DSS actually IS. So it has been extremely frustrating to be forced to repeatedly explain over and over what is one of the most basic functions of QuickTime Streaming, to someone who doesn't understand what it is and just says "we don't support that" to every question.

Would it be possible for me to speak directly to someone at DreamHost who has actually used DSS and is familiar with the way the server is set up? I have been running my own DSS server for 5 years and I want to migrate over to a professional webhost, but I cannot migrate as long as I am unable to resolve one basic problem because nobody at DreamHost knows how their own DSS server works. I won't bother getting into details until I am convinced I'm speaking to someone who actually knows how DSS works.

At this point, I have spent more than 6 months of service fees just trying to get a basic answer to the simplest, most basic feature of QuickTime Streaming. What do I need to do, to get to talk to someone who actually can solve this problem??
Find all posts by this user
05-10-2006, 07:05 PM
Streaming is broken
Quote:I won't bother getting into details until I am convinced I'm speaking to someone who actually knows how DSS works.
I don't wish to sound negative, but I think you are going to be unlucky in this case. I am not sure why you would expect the hosting company to be intimate with the specifics of QTSS/DSS. I wouldn't expect them to know the ins and outs of a specific PHP feature, for example, but I would expect them to ensure that a stable version of it was running on my system.

What exactly is the problem? Maybe one of your fellow customers can help - I would imagine there are hundreds of forum members who use Quicktime streaming.

--------
Simon Jessey | Keystone Websites
Save $97 on yearly plans with promo code SCJESSEY97
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-10-2006, 07:29 PM
Streaming is broken
I don't expect them to know the intimate details of QTSS/DSS. I DO expect them to be able to tell me why their DSS server does not work when I try to use extremely basic features that I can get to work on other QTSS/DSS servers. As far as I can tell, their DSS server is deliberately misconfigured, and features are stripped out.

To be specific: DreamHost's DSS machine does not support Reference Movies. This is the whole point of doing QTSS/DSS, you encode several different "alternates" which are mov files encoded to match the bandwidth for different connection speeds. On my existing QTSS system, I encode 3 alternates, for 56k, 112k, and 256k, then I create a Reference Movie that links to those 3 movies. Then I put the 3 alternates on the QTSS machine, and the RefMov on the HTTP server. I call up the RefMov in my web page, the RefMov calls up the appropriate alternate that matches my available bandwidth. This is the whole POINT of using QTSS, with alternates, you are able to deliver a mov that is perfect for each user's bandwidth.

But on DreamHost, it is impossible to use Reference Movies, you can only access the file directly via RTSP. I asked DreamHost support why I can't get Reference Movies to work, they said they "don't support advanced features like Reference Movies." Wha? RefMovs are THE single MOST BASIC feature of QTSS.

I guarantee that somewhere at DreamHost, there is one guy who set up the DSS server in the first place, and knows how to administer the server. I need to talk to him, not the know-nothing low-level techs who just say it can't be done. I've been running my own QTSS server for 5 years, I'm an Apple Developer, I could even assist DreamHost in correcting their configuration. But so far I can't even get a thing out of DH tech support.
05-10-2006, 08:13 PM
Streaming is broken
We've had a couple Honchos (dreamhost Founders) on the Forums rescently, perhaps one of them will stop in here and be able to assist. Past that, you might request that Jeff or Dallas look over your concerns in a support message. While they well may not know about the server setup, they may be able to give you a better answer or direct your message.

--Matttail
art.googlies.net - personal website
05-10-2006, 09:39 PM
Streaming is broken
I'm on the QT Streaming List with the original poster and there's an exchange going on there about this too. At this point, I can get nothing to work with QTSS/DSS, not even using the RTSP URLs as Dreamhost specifies. And I know this was working last summer, when I tested this.

Can anybody at all get an RTSP streaming URL to work? I mean please go and try it right now, even if it was working yesterday. I hope this is something I'm doing wrong, though I can't for the life of me see what that is.

I think the idea of offering QTSS/DSS support is a great one, but I agree with ceicher that they ned to do some support here, not just leave the server dead with nothing working. And I'm also going to send that to support, who I will say has been good in the past about working on issues I raise.
05-11-2006, 03:40 AM
Streaming is broken
It's happened to me aswell i have a load of stuff setup in my streaming folders, and since yesterday nothing works, please help i've been working on this stuff for more than a year and i assure u this is very frustrating.
05-11-2006, 05:31 AM
Streaming is broken
I wrote a DreamHost article about embedding objects a while ago, and I did some testing of streaming files with the Darwin Streaming Server. There didn't seem to be any problems with it, but I didn't try Reference Movies because I wasn't even aware of that feature.

The code for streaming movies still works though: http://wiki.dreamhost.com/index.php/Obje...ing_Server

--------
Simon Jessey | Keystone Websites
Save $97 on yearly plans with promo code SCJESSEY97
05-11-2006, 02:35 PM
Streaming is broken
The code may work (and it should, from looking at it) but the server is not, at least as of an hour ago (I don't check it every hour). I am submitting this to support, as several people are saying they can't get their streaming to work.
05-11-2006, 02:40 PM
Streaming is broken
OK, someone rebooted the box or something, as my RTSP URLs now work again. So I'll be looking at reference movies now, getting back to your initial question.
05-11-2006, 02:46 PM
Streaming is broken
Here's a reference movie that works:

http://www.cabcwaco.org/test300_ref.mov

Granted, this does not support alternates, but the basic concept of a reference movie does seem to be supported by their configuration. I'll try to get some alternate sizes together and make another ref movie with them all in it.