Current time: 04-17-2014, 10:55 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

iTunes Library
02-17-2006, 01:40 PM
iTunes Library
Is it possible to load your iTunes library onto the server and access it over the Internet?

I know this was possible at one time. All the information I find is either for MAC or for sharing your library over a LAN.

I'm not looking to set up a peer to peer, just access my songs over the Internet from work.

If anyone has any information, please let me know!
Find all posts by this user
02-17-2006, 03:09 PM
iTunes Library
Technically, you could upload your MP3 collection and download it from somewhere else, but there's nothing iTunes-specific about this. This won't allow it to show up as a shared library in iTunes. iTunes itself can only share music with your local subnet.

--
If you want useful replies, ask smart questions.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-17-2006, 03:12 PM
iTunes Library
Quote:Is it possible to load your iTunes library onto the server and access it over the Internet?
Even if it was technically possible, I doubt that Apple's aggressive DRM would allow it.

----------------
Simon Jessey
Keystone Websites | si-blog
02-17-2006, 03:19 PM
iTunes Library
I haven't tried it myself, but my first thought was to use Hamachi to create a LAN over the internet.

Try to google "hamachi itunes". There is quite a few suggestions, e.g. An Interesting Combo: Hamachi and iTunes Network Share.

--
DreamHost Promo Code: Save $50 with the promo code DREAMTEAM
02-17-2006, 03:26 PM
iTunes Library
Even if it was technically possible, I doubt that Apple's aggressive DRM would allow it.

I use iTunes exclusively to listen to my 50 GB music library and not one of those files is DRM'd.

Don't confuse the use of iTunes, which can play pretty much any standard format, with the use of music purchased from the iTunes Music Store, which is DRM'd.

Also, regarding "aggressive": As far as DRM goes, Apple's is the most permissive I've seen.

--
02-17-2006, 03:29 PM
iTunes Library
Quote:Even if it was technically possible, I doubt that Apple's aggressive DRM would allow it.
Apple's protection keeps tracks on the number of computers a song that's downloaded from iTunes is played on. You're allowed 5 computers, no more.

So yes, if it were technically possible, Apple will allow it. But, as, not so directly stated, the only real true way to "share" your iTunes library is to stream it from your computer. I assume your library folder is huge, which makes uploading it not feasable, not to mention it's just making a copy of it which isn't technically "sharing" the folder.

There's nothing stopping iTunes from reading the same music folder across shared mounts though. I've done that when I ran to windows boxes here at home. Two iTunes apps were reading from the same folder just fine.
02-17-2006, 03:31 PM
iTunes Library
Quote:Don't confuse the use of iTunes, which can play pretty much any standard format, with the use of music purchased from the iTunes Music Store, which is DRM'd.
You are absolutely right. I assumed (probably incorrectly) that the original poster was referring to music purchased in the iTunes Music Store.

Oddly enough, my own digital library is almost exactly 50 gigabytes as well - all in standard MP3 format. I don't use iTunes - in fact, I won't allow a copy on my own box because of the services installed with it.

----------------
Simon Jessey
Keystone Websites | si-blog
02-17-2006, 03:37 PM
iTunes Library
I don't use iTunes - in fact, I won't allow a copy on my own box because of the services installed with it.

Ahh, you must be a Windows user. My condolences.

--
02-17-2006, 05:12 PM
iTunes Library
Quote:iTunes

Yuck. Why use spyware on your compter? Try a free player like Winamp (windose) or XMMS (linux)

-Matttail
02-17-2006, 09:38 PM
iTunes Library
How's iTunes spyware? Show me where? The ONE feature that calls home must be enabled.