Current time: 04-24-2014, 11:11 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Distorted Stream Starts
02-17-2006, 12:43 PM
Distorted Stream Starts
I am working with a developer to build a site that will deliver tutorials as Quicktime Streaming video. I am using H264 to encode (and requiring the viewer to have this version as well). The movies are somewhat long/large.

When I first launch a movie there are large grey blocks throughout the image and the video sorta "strobes" through this. All this occurs only during the first second or two of streaming.

The developer says he is not seeing this on his machines. So I re-endoded (with Hinting enabled) and the problem persists on BOTH my Macs at home.

Has anyone seen this? Any hints? Suggestions? Anything and everything will help. Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
02-17-2006, 07:49 PM
Distorted Stream Starts
Can you force a few more keyframes into the video near the beginning? I would guess that the blockiness is symptomatic of the video struggling along until it reaches a keyframe a few seconds into the movie.

Background - don't know how familiar you are already:
Most video is encoded so that it only contains a full frame (the keyframe) every few seconds. All the in-between frames are represented as the difference between the current frame and the previous one. (That saves a lot of space in the file.) So until you get a good keyframe as the reference point, you're just building blocky differences upon differences.
02-17-2006, 07:54 PM
Distorted Stream Starts
Thanks. I will give it a whirl.

What is throwing me off is that my developer says the movies some thru fine on his end, but consistently not so for me.