Current time: 04-23-2014, 01:00 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

LotR:The Two Towers
01-07-2003, 01:11 PM
Since Will complains no-one was posting... Wink

I presume this is a crowd that likely would have seen TTT, so I was curious what others reactions were? For myself, I'm still of the opinion that 6 hours might be about the right length to really get all the story in that needs to be there, but I also understand the constraints/attention-span of the average theater-goer, and that even at 3 hours, there's enough missing that a person not familiar with the books can become a bit lost (even if they had also seen FotR).

That being said, I still absolutely loved it, and am looking forward to the extended edition come ~November. I thought the battle at Helm's Deep was well executed, and more impressive than any battle I've ever seen on film (until we get to the Battle of the Pelennor Fields in RotK!), and it didn't take more thna 5 minutes before I completely forgot that Gollum was a computer-generated overlay...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-07-2003, 01:41 PM
Personally, I haven't seen either of the LOTR movies (I know.. a geek no-no). I wasn't a huge fan of the books as I recall, and I'm not usually a fan of movies of books. Perhaps I'll check out the first one on DVD at some point.

Did anyone see Todd Haynes's new movie (Far From Heaven)? I enjoyed it a lot. There are actually a lot of movies that look interesting out right now.
01-07-2003, 02:00 PM
I thought Gollum was amazingly well done. He's probably the first computer generated character I've seen thus far that carried any real emotional weight onscreen.

Then again, he's a tragic character - especially if you know the back story behind him. Still, the fact that he was digitally rendered didn't get in the way at all. Probably the most enjoyable aspect of the movie as I see it.

Helms Deep was well done, though a bit long. I was also kind of annoyed in how Gimli was portrayed, but it wasn't that big a deal.

Some portions of the film are only understandable if you've seen the extended version of FOTR, namely the elven cloaks and food Sam and Frodo were eating near the start. Again, not a deal breaker, but I hope not too many people get confused watching those scenes (the cloak scene in particular).

I understand what you're saying about fitting everything into the time given, and also recognize that film is a different medium than the written word. Some things simply wouldn't work in film (Tom Bambadil, anyone?), for instance, and most people just don't have the attention span to last more than 3 hours.

I do wish they hadn't added some of the stuff they did - the whole cliff/Aragorn scene is a good example. At the very least, they had to have cut something of more merit to fit it in, and I'm not sure what the purpose was.

Still, I'm by no means a "purist", and I enjoyed it immensely. I think much of the success is in that it was all filmed simultaneously, and the amount of work they put into making Gollum the fleshed out character he is.

Anyone here want to see The Hobbit made into a film? I'd like to see it, though it sounds like Peter Jackson isn't interested in the project and I have to admit that it won't carry half the dramatic weight of the LOTR trilogy (ie. saving the world vs. taking on a mean gold-hording dragon).

- Jeff @ DreamHost
- DH Discussion Forum Admin
01-07-2003, 03:05 PM
A friend who is a big Star Wars fan (of which I am one also -- I was an enthusiastic 10-year-old, reading The Hobbit the same summer that SW came out), begrudgingly saw FotR, and has since seen TTT (since her husband wants to complete the series), was forced to admit that the CGI Yoda in Attack of the Clones (who we call Flubber Yoda, for how he bounced) is now no better than a sock-puppet compared to Gollum. Lucas's problem these days is that in his über-infatuation with the technology he's using, he over-engineers all the emotion out of his characters (but that's another thread Wink ).

I'm not a purist either -- the book is the book, and the movie is the movie... The next time I read the books, my mind may place the actor's faces on the characters, but I know I won't confuse events from the two. I'm inclined to agree with you on the cliff/Aragorn thing; my opinion would be to take that out and flesh out the Ents' story a bit more, which also seemed to get a bit of short shrift (and is, by far, what I'm hearing as being the most "out of place" or disjointed of the three storylines). Perhaps we'll get a bit more in the extended edition DVD.

I've heard others complain about the different take Faramir gets from what is in the books, but to be honest, one of the folks over at The One Ring.Net did an analysis of Faramir's "interrogations" as written in the books, and I now believe that Peter Jackson's interpretation of that sequence is really not that far off after a additional reading.

As far as The Hobbit goes, I'd love to see Jackson do it at this point, but you're right, I doubt he would. It doesn't have to carry the dramatic weight of LotR, though, and I think a nice rip-roaring adventure film would be just the thing, and surely Smaug, and the Battle of the Five Armies, should be nothing for him and the staff of WETA after everything else they've learned now... But then he'd also have to convince Ian McKellen, Ian Holm, and Hugo Weaving to go along for the ride, wouldn't he? Wink
01-07-2003, 04:36 PM
The Nature of Faramir
BTW, if anyone would be interested, the analysis I referenced above can be found at http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/8/1040683523
01-13-2003, 11:28 PM
Speaking of Hugo Weaving... Did anyone else find themselves expecting to hear him say "Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson"?

:-)

Lynna

Business: http://www.spidersilk.net
Personal: http://www.wildideas.net