Current time: 04-24-2014, 03:09 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

SQL management tool?
11-13-2005, 04:13 PM
SQL management tool?
Howdy all. Just moving over here from another host, and I am trying to bring my WordPress and phpBB with me. Following phpBB's restore instructions (http://www.phpbb.com/kb/article.php?article_id=212) , it says I need to use whatever SQL management tool we have...well...I can't figure out where it is! Could someone point me to where I need to go in the control panel? I can not find it for the life of me!

Thanks in advance. And if anyone has pointers on moving both of these items, please feel free to share!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-13-2005, 04:34 PM
SQL management tool?
when you set up your database, you created a host name - put that into your internet Browser and it will bring up phpmyadmin - the mysql management tool.

You'll need to log on with the user/pass associated with the database.

-Matttail
11-13-2005, 04:55 PM
SQL management tool?
In case you're not familiar with phpMyAdmin, you just have to select "SQL" and then "Import Files" in order to restore your backups.

--
DreamHost Promo Code: Save $50 with the promo code DREAMTEAM
11-13-2005, 04:57 PM
SQL management tool?
Matttail -

Thank you for your reply. Is this "mysql.mydomain.com" what you mean? Sorry to seem so confused, Dreamhost just seems to be set up very differently than any other hose I have worked with before. I am sure I will get the hang of it.

Sean
11-13-2005, 06:29 PM
SQL management tool?
From my previous host, I have the MySQL backup files in the format *.frm *.myi and *.myd

PHPmyAdmin does not seem to import these file types. I have installed putty as an SSH client

How do I import these files into my database?
Find all posts by this user
11-13-2005, 07:08 PM
SQL management tool?
ya, mysql.mydomain.com - the "host name" you typed in when you created the Database.

-Matttail
11-13-2005, 07:20 PM
SQL management tool?
Quote:files in the format *.frm *.myi and *.myd
The easiest thing to do would be to get access to the original database, and get a real mysql export, so you get a *.sql file. (you need to use an export feature, not just copy the files from the mysql database.)

If this is not a possibility you'll have to contact support and see if they can manually put the files in for you. I found this that tells how to get thoes files into the database. (customers dont' have appropiate access to the mysql servers to do this)

-Matttail
11-13-2005, 07:34 PM
SQL management tool?
The previous hosts suspended the account which stops all use of any tools, including PHPmyAdmin.

I was not happy that the previous hosts (Aplus.net) could only give me my website in the form of very large gzipped files ftped to me.

I'll talk to the support here and see what they can do.
Find all posts by this user
11-13-2005, 07:44 PM
SQL management tool?
If support can't help you out, and you're desperate for the data, PM me and I might be able to help you out. I'm working on getting a debian server running on my computer...

-Matttail
11-13-2005, 08:31 PM
SQL management tool?
Matttail -

Thank you for your help! It *looks* like everything is installed correctly, will find out for sure shortly. *phew* Not something I ever want to do again!

Sean