Current time: 04-23-2014, 09:18 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

550 error
10-04-2005, 05:42 AM
550 error
I'm having trouble deleting a file. It prompts me with error 550. What do I do? Its preventing me from re-installing a forum in the same directory.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-04-2005, 01:43 PM
550 error
For some reason it's saying you dont' have permission to delete that file. Are you loged into FTP with the user that is excuting CGI for the domain? not a user that has a directory re-map set up.

If not, see if you can change the permissions (CHMOD) the file to 777 read/write/excute for everybody and then delete it.

If that doesn't work you shoudl telenet or ssh into your account and delete the file from there. search the K-base for help on using telnet/ssh if you need it. You'll want to use "cd' to move into a directory like this:
"cd domain.com/path/to/forum/"
You can use "ls" to list the files in the currnet directory and use "rm" to remove or delete the file. you'd type the command this way:
"rm file.name"
warning: be careful when using rm or "rm -r " as there is no undo or trash bin.

Or if you're not comfortable using telnet/ssh and the other options above don't work just contact support and ask them to help out.

-Matttail
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-04-2005, 01:58 PM
550 error
Yeh, Ive tried changing the CHMOD to 777 and it didn't help. I also attempted to delted the files through ms-dos, command prompt, again without success. I'll try these new commands again, but last time I tried with rmdir (or command similar to that) I got an error too, something like "the directory is not empty." Is there no way I can just delete everything on my webspace and start a fresh as I have already asked for customer service and have gotten no reply for more than 24 hours.

P.S. Your help is very much apprciated
10-04-2005, 02:02 PM
550 error
Mhhh...
well to delete a directory you have to do recursively... so
rm directory/ -rf
-r recursively
-f force
also you can use rm -f archive.txt

Regards
10-04-2005, 02:05 PM
550 error
Oh ok, Ill try it right away. Thanks.

P.S. So is there no way of reseting my account completly?
10-04-2005, 02:12 PM
550 error
Ive tried the suggestion above.

I typed rm dir/ -rf

and I got a 550 error with the following message

Quote: Directory not empty

Far out I dont care if its empty or not, just delete!
10-04-2005, 02:16 PM
550 error
try typing "rm -rf dir" see if that works

also, the only other way I would know to entirley clear out your domain would be to go to Domains > Mange and click the x across from your domain. that will clear out all E-mail address you've set up, all databases you've setup, and any settings associated with the domain. You'll have to wait for the system to have time to entirley clear out everything and then you can add it back in, and wait for DH's DNS servers to put the new entry back in. All in all, it would probably take less time to wait for support to help you out with simply clearing out the files.

Becuase support has 'supper user' access to their machines they will be able to delete the files regardless of who owns them or whatever.

-Matttail
10-04-2005, 02:18 PM
550 error
Thanks alot, yeh I think thats wise. I'll just have to be patient and wait for support. If all else fails I'll follow your instructions and reset my account Smile. Cheers.
10-04-2005, 02:19 PM
550 error
I have not installed the forum via the one click install... thinking on your problem... you can't delete a dir, file if you are not the owner... (unix permision system)... I think... that probably some files are not from your user group, or thinking on other directions, had you any other users/groups on your account? maybe the files are from some other user of your own Big Grin

If all else fail... contact support Wink

Regards
10-04-2005, 02:24 PM
Yeh
Yeh true. I think I need the support people to clean things out for me. The problem is I set up the forum with the one click and then it must have added some files which only the admins of dreamhost have access too. I then uninstalled it wrongly (removed the SQL data base first) and now its corrupt. (I've tried setting up another database for a photogallery and its somehow not worked).

Yeh all in all, I've scrwed things up. I'm new to the buisness and I'd love to get a clean start on my website.

Smile thanks for all quick responses, so much faster then customer help

PS: also a question to one of the solutions provided, if I cancel the domain, will I still own the domain? If that makes sense.