Current time: 04-24-2014, 01:54 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Google AJAXSLT
07-15-2005, 01:12 PM
Google AJAXSLT
Has anyone here tried this?

For those who don't know about it, it is an implementation of XSL-T in JavaScript, written by some folks at Google. It's also (necessarily) a Javascript implementation of XPath. Having AJAX in the name is misleading; they intend for it to be used in fat web pages, but it really doesn't have to be used that way.

I experimented with it briefly and even their provided example, despite claiming it works under IE, did not work properly under my copy of IE6, even after significant tinkering. It was quite nice in Firefox.

However, I'm a fan of this idea, at least philosophically, for a number of reasons.

1) XSLT allows a true separation of presentation and content, unlike XHTML/CSS2 which AFAIK still relies at least partially on the HTML markup to dictate page layout.

2) Since it's Javascript, the actual data transformation is done at the client. The client caches the script and a static stylesheet, and requests only the data from the server. This overcomes what I've always thought to be a major weakness of XSLT: as a server-side transformation, it saves neither processor time nor bandwidth.

I'd like to see this project mature into something very powerful and universally useful. Anybody here toyed with it at all?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply