Current time: 04-17-2014, 05:53 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The Best Way to do this?
07-15-2002, 01:41 PM
The Best Way to do this?
Hey folks, I've been a happy dh customer since 96. I've just hosted personal sites. I am now developing a project that will require processing credit cards. I understand I need a merchant account. I understand I need SSL, but I don't think I need a shopping cart as I'm not selling products but rather a subscription. I am a proficient PHP coder so I think I can code something to interface with the cc processor. Has anyone been in a similar boat and what do you recommend. Thanks a bunch!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-15-2002, 02:03 PM
The Best Way to do this?
I'd suggest something like ibill (I don't believe we officially support ibill anymore, and I have heard that a lot of people don't like them, so you might look for other providers that offer similar services).

Anyone here have experiences with alternate providers for this type of service?

I agree that you would like to avoid setting up SSL and doing your own credit card processing, as it can be expensive / difficult to setup, and is insecure if not done right.
07-15-2002, 03:42 PM
The Best Way to do this?
It doesn't - but setting up an online merchant bank account and purchasing an SSL certificate can get expensive (and will require setup fees from us on many plans).

Unless you're doing a pretty high volume of subscriptions, it's probably not worth the money (and time) involved in setting up a shopping cart system.
07-15-2002, 03:55 PM
The Best Way to do this?
The problem is we are a new business. We want to offer our services for free but with our clients informed that when we reach a certain volume, we will have to charge. And I don't think getting a merchant account is easy for an unestablished company (yet). If I were to go with the "strictly business" hosting plan, I would expect to pay $80/mo plus whatever my merchant account would cost? Is that right? Does anybody have any recommendations on whom I should approach for a merchant account for a new business? Thanks again!
07-15-2002, 06:25 PM
The Best Way to do this?
you might have a look at 2checkout.com
Find all posts by this user