Current time: 04-23-2014, 03:49 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

You have...
04-06-2005, 09:25 AM
You have...
...an oldie but goldie: a polished, fully working and well-maintained Compaq Proliant 3U rackmount server (or IBM Netfinity, take your pick.) It has two 1GHz Pentium3 processors, 2GB of registered ECC RAM, two hot-swap power supplies, six brand new Seagate 73GB 10K RPM Ultra3 SCSI drives in hot-swap RAID 1+0 with two drives on hot standby. You have just installed Xenified Debian. You have hardened the OS. Otherwise you have a blank slate.

Would you...
a) ...put it up on craigslist because it's less than dually 3.4GHz Xeon/2.4GHz Opteron?
b) ...go off on a tangent ranting about all these newfangled supercomputers, and how back in YOUR days you served the web with a Sinclair ZX81 with 1kb of memory uphill both ways?
c) ...mumble something about FreeBSD/OpenBSD/NetBSD and wipe the disks?
d) ...realize that you live within thirty minutes from half a dozen top of the line datacenters and start plotting world domination?
e) ...stare at the machine with a confused look and wonder how they managed to squeeze a vacuum cleaner in there?
f) ...what would you do?
Find all posts by this user
04-06-2005, 09:31 AM
You have...
Hmmm. That's a toughy. I didn't do anything vaguely web-related with my ZX81 (or with my Spectrum, for that matter), but I did surf the teletext on my BBC Micro.

To be honest, there are only two reasons for owning a PC in this day and age:

1. The internet (web, email, etc.)
2. Playing Doom III

Everything else is a waste of time, but I suppose I would have to go for (f) and install Windows XP on it - because I'm an OS noob.

--------------------
Simon Jessey
Keystone Websites | si-blog
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-06-2005, 09:51 AM
You have...
I'll go with D, start looking for co-lo space.

Actually, in my case, I'd convince my boss to let me put it in one of our cabinets at 200 Paul where our servers live.

On the other hand, I gave up sysadminning my own servers for a reason.

--
If you want useful replies, ask smart questions.
04-06-2005, 09:56 AM
You have...
Load some bbs software, plug in a modem, and create your own Luddite friendly BBS.

If it were me (and I stil have a 800 mhz box at home I do just this on) I'd use it to host web apps that are more at home running on hardware you own.

-Jason

I40.com - Home Page
MP3Mystic - Personal Streaming Music server.
(Neither of these sites are still hosted at dreamhost)
04-06-2005, 12:58 PM
You have...
Fun stuff Smile Keep them ideas coming!

The great part is that you can get this kind of a machine off of eBay or craigslist for $200 nowadays. For $100 you can get a similar box with four 18GB drives. Get a couple of them, plonk a load balancer in front, and you'll have a powerful server for fraction of the cost of a more modern server. Downside is that they take much more space than a single up-to-date 1U server -- and you're on your own as support goes, though this is ameliorated somewhat by getting a few extra boxes and treating each machine as the ultimate replaceable component.

On a different topic, I'd like to see someone write a TCP/IP stack for ZX81...
Find all posts by this user
04-06-2005, 01:14 PM
You have...
Quote:Load some bbs software, plug in a modem, and create your own Luddite
friendly BBS.

Just curious, Jason - are you or were you ever an old-school BBS sysop?

Way back when, I used to run a single line Hermes II (WWIV clone for the Mac) board in the 509 ac. :>

- Jeff @ DreamHost
- DH Discussion Forum Admin
04-06-2005, 01:34 PM
You have...
Naw.. I was an occasional visitor (617 mainly), back in HS (83-84ish), but then got to u-mass and started playing with 'the net'. But I had a few freinds that were sysops, and I sent a Fido message or two.

-Jason

I40.com - Home Page
MP3Mystic - Personal Streaming Music server.
(Neither of these sites are still hosted at dreamhost)
04-06-2005, 02:08 PM
You have...
Quote:Naw.. I was an occasional visitor (617 mainly), back in HS (83-84ish), but
then got to u-mass and started playing with 'the net'. But I had a few freinds
that were sysops, and I sent a Fido message or two.

Ahh, gotcha. I started on the 'net in one form or another around 1991, but to some degree I still miss those old BBSing days.

*sniff sniff*

- Jeff @ DreamHost
- DH Discussion Forum Admin
04-06-2005, 03:10 PM
You have...
I have a somewhat similiar computer system, that I use for person home computing. I do a lot of intese graphics editing (as I'm a photographer/ Art Eduction major). I run a dual OS system between Mandrake 10 and Windows 2k Pro.

I have one SCSI drive, and two IDEs. I only have the IDE because it's less expensive to get more storage, and I have a lot of MP3s to store... (all perfectly leagal too mind you. I swear I own all the CDs.....)

I'm slowly working on getting my linux install running as a LAMP system - the main idea being to have it to faciliate backups of domains of my and my customers (few though they are) and have a space to do some behind-the-seans- editing of testing of web apps.

I keep windows around beucase I heavn't been able to get Adobe Photoshop and Jasc Paint Shop Pro running in Linux. I just saved up and bought a Wacome Intuos graphics tablet, which is the most awesome device in the world! And I'm afraid that it will also be difficult to get working in linux - another reason for windows.

I would also never have anything to do with windows xp on any computer of mine. But if you must, it absolutly, with out a doubt, simply must be XP Pro.

Windows 2k doesn't handle the dual processos well IMO. I get a lot of complaints from windwos that the application isn't responding becuase it's computing like mad on one CPU and windows is sitting alomst idle on the other.

But yeah, it's a great home computer. Lots of fun possibilties. Nice bit of processing power. Smile

-Matttail
04-06-2005, 08:01 PM
You have...
thanks for your inpuit. I was considering switching to Debian. I like the feel of a good GUI though, for a lot of the stuff I do. How do you think it compares with Mandrake? I know that you can install Gnome or KDE the same, but the apps that came with the distro make a big difference in how easy it is to configure the interface and other behind the seans suff. For instance does debian respond when you put a CD in the drive or do you have to mnt on your own?

I have used Gimp a bit, and I did like it. I can't recall the specifics right now beucase I heavn't used Gimp recently, but there were a few features that I didn't like the interface to as well - I thought it made a simple task very diffiuct. Probably I'm just stuck in a rut though and am not giving it a fair chance.

I do love ImageMagic, it is by far the best program for resizing images. when you make a drastic resize of a Jpg you can get some really blury images, but ImageMagic doens't have that issue.

-Matttail