Current time: 04-20-2014, 12:07 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Flash supports sockets?
06-22-2002, 02:12 AM
Flash supports sockets?
Recently I found out that Macromedia Flash versions 5 and up support sockets.

Anyone ever use it for this sort of thing?

I've always been under the opinion that Flash is one of the more annoying technologies out there, as sites that rely heavily on it tend to violate a lot of (well justified) expectations people have about user interface design - as well as soak up a ton of bandwidth and take forever to load. Call me a minimalist if you will, but I usually don't like the web pages I visit screaming at me. :>

That said, this is VERY interesting. I've written a Perl script that runs as a daemon on the server, communicating back and forth with the Flash movie on the client-side. A user can actually input text, which is then sent to the Perl script on the server, and re-sent back to the Flash movie for presentation. I've actually created a very simple chatroom with this.

(This is primarily for a personal project of mine, but could eventually end up being used for DreamHost-related offerings of some kind.)

As far as I can tell, it's very light-weight resource-wise, and the Flash movie itself is just a hair over 4k.

It was also a lot easier for me than writing a similar Java client (as I'm not a Java expert by any definition), and I suspect a lot less CPU intensive.

Anyone ever do anything like this? Have you had good experiences with Flash implementations of this type?

- Jeff @ DreamHost
- DH Discussion Forum Admin
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-22-2002, 02:19 AM
Flash supports sockets?
I'll bite....

So Jeff.... where could I find a demo of your kewl flash chatroom?

(No - Jeff didn't make me write that :>)
06-22-2002, 02:42 AM
Flash supports sockets?
---
So Jeff.... where could I find a demo of your kewl flash chatroom?
---

It's not really demo worthy, yet. I'll post a link when it is, if anyone is interested.

- Jeff @ DreamHost
06-22-2002, 05:37 PM
Flash supports sockets?
Yeah. I'm in.

I've been fiddling around with Flsh myself lately. I've been working alot on getting this ActionScript working.

What I'm trying to do is write online games (very simple games) where the user moves objects around and stuff using Flash so I'm more than interested in your project.

Flash actually works very well with Perl, and it's actually a joy to use. I was myself considering ActiveX, Java etc. but Flash is the way to go I think. I'll too post a URL when I'm ready.. but be prepared to a few questions in the meantime. Smile

Cheers

Wil
--
Web Developer
http://www.fbagroup.co.uk/
Find all posts by this user
07-08-2002, 10:13 AM
Flash supports sockets?
I doubt I'm going to become famous for anything, but thanks for the heads-up. :>

On a semi-related note, though, I highly recommend useit.com. I've been going there off and on for a few years now, and it's a tremendous resource for usability design.

- Jeff @ DreamHost