Current time: 04-24-2014, 03:12 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

New Forum Software (Customer Disc. Forum)
03-25-2005, 12:51 PM
While I do like the forum software we are using here, it is getting a bit long in the tooth and I'm considering an upgrade to something a bit more recent. Here are my criteria:

- Should have per-user 'killfile' support, so that you can selectively filter out messages based on user ID/login.

- Should have a relatively clean, uncluttered interface (no avatars, etc.). Similar to this forum in that respect.

- Good search capabilities.

Anyone here have any recommendations, or have any forum feature requests?

- Jeff @ DreamHost
- DH Discussion Forum Admin
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-25-2005, 01:35 PM
Personally I'm all about PHPBB. You can set up the 'killfile' with a mod or a hack, I found these links
mod
hack 1
hack 2

you can disable avitars, or limit them by file size and dimensions (though I like them off best)

I think it would also be nice to have some forum moderators, as in long time users who frequent the boards, who can close topics if they get to rowdy or whatever. Also they could remove posts when users double post, because I find it really annoying to answer a post and then go the next catagory and see that they posted there too and allready got a response.

It might be nice to have a few alternative styles to choose from and with PHPBB the admin can install some extra styles, and then users can chnage to them if they want.

But all in all, I like this software pretty well, and it loads up fast. As far as I'm concerned I don't think it would be worth much effort to switch to new software. And if upgrading means loosing all of the old posts then it's definaly not worth it.

-Matttail
03-25-2005, 02:15 PM
Don't know about the 'killfile', but I love punbb. It seems like the next logical step from this type of minimal layout. "Its primary goal is to be a faster, smaller and less graphic alternative to otherwise excellent discussion boards..."
Find all posts by this user
03-25-2005, 02:45 PM
Quote:Personally I'm all about PHPBB. You can set up the 'killfile' with a mod or a
hack, I found these links

I'd prefer to do this without the need for hacks, but I'll keep this in mind. It looks like the 'killfile' concept is a bit more common on Usenet than in discussion forum software.

Quote:I think it would also be nice to have some forum moderators, as in long
time users who frequent the boards, who can close topics if they get to
rowdy or whatever.

While there are a number of people here who I think would be very good for this sort of thing, after the last several days I tend to think that people here might be a bit too quick to shut down threads. :>

That's why I figured that the killfile concept may be best - it'd allow people to avoid posts from those they feel add nothing to the discussion and/or annoy, without any actual censorship taking place. That seems like a nice middle ground between a censor-happy-but-useful-forum and a free-for-all-but-open-forum.

Quote:But all in all, I like this software pretty well, and it loads up fast. As far
as I'm concerned I don't think it would be worth much effort to switch to
new software. And if upgrading means loosing all of the old posts then it's
definaly not worth it.

Well, I'd definitely want to find a way to preserve old messages. I'm not sure what the best way would be to do that - keep the old forum around, but disallow new posts?

In general, though, I do like wwwthreads. It has since gone on to become UBBThreads, but even that doesn't seem to support some of the features I had in mind (ie. killfiles).

Anyhow, this is all just a testing of waters... I would announce ahead of time before performing an upgrade.

- Jeff @ DreamHost
03-25-2005, 03:18 PM
Quote:I'd prefer to do this without the need for hacks, but I'll keep this in mind. It looks like the 'killfile' concept is a bit more common on Usenet than in discussion forum software.
phpBB has an "ignore" feature, so you can ignore posts by users

IPB seems nice. But not opensource?
03-25-2005, 03:28 PM
Quote:phpBB has an "ignore" feature, so you can ignore posts by users

Hrm. Must have missed that!

Quote:IPB seems nice. But not opensource?

Maybe, but then again neither is this board. While given two otherwise equal options I'll choose the open-source one, in the end my main concern is what is better.

- Jeff @ DreamHost
03-25-2005, 05:58 PM
My take is that the more popular ones like vBulletin or phpBB basically cover all the features that most people would need; that's why they are popular in the first place, right? I personally prefer vB as that is like the standard of business forums; but since DreamHost does include phpBB as one of their one-click installs, not going with it might send a confusing signal. Just my two cents. Wink

--------------------------
DreamServers.net :: DreamWhois.com :: DreamRegistrar.com
03-25-2005, 06:20 PM
Such a shame neither punbb nor SMF has an ignore feature for posts. SMF will probably get it eventually, but they're still researching on how to make it "right." Barring that feature, one of those'd be my first choice even over vB. And vBulleting over phpbb2.
03-25-2005, 07:16 PM
I also got to throw in my support for phpbb. I know it is easier to just have it "off the shelf" but some serious hacks and phpbb boards fully modded are available.

Phpbb 3 will be out in beta soon which will certainly be a must upgrade path considering phpbb is well over two years old now and needs a major update.

Although vb forums etc look very nice I believe and strongly support open source thus phpbb will always be my first choice.
03-25-2005, 10:07 PM
I don't think that PHPBB has the ability for the 'user status' where is says "matttail (DH Regular)" without a mod. And that's a cool feature.

And while I'm on that subject, what are the different user levels and all?

-Matttail