Current time: 04-20-2014, 12:07 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

FTP & Front Page
03-25-2005, 09:42 AM
FTP & Front Page
I recently signed up with DH. I'm using Front Page (I know alot of people don't like it, but it's what I've got right now and I know there's got to be a way to use it.)

Anyway, when I try to publish my site, I've tried two different methods. First when I click on Remote Web Server type and then click on Front Page or SharePoint Services and try to publish it I get an error message saying:

Quote:
Quote:that the web server for http://www.mydomain.com does not appear to have Windows SharePoint Services installed.<<

When I sent a question to support they told me to go into 'goodies' and enable Frontpage extensions. But when I went in there it gave all types of warnings about not doing that, so I stopped.

I then tried to publish using FTP. Support also told me to make sure to connect to Frontpage via ftp://mydomain.com/mydomain.com, but when I try to do that, the program keeps running until I get an error message saying >>425 can't build data connection:Connection timed out<<

Can someone please give me simple step-by-step directions on how to publish a website to DH using Frontpage?

I've got another website through another Webhoster and I've never had problems using Front Page with them, but thought I'd give DH a try for this new website. I'm having second thoughts now......

Thanks for any help!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-25-2005, 10:09 AM
FTP & Front Page
ok, We've been helping someone else with a very similar problems here in the forums. Check this out:
thread

Now, DH doesn't reccomend enabling FP extensions, they are not as stable as one might like, and they really only give you a very few benefits taht can easly be worked around. FP extensions will basically allow you to do 2 things, first connect to your website via live connect or other http based access. They will also let you use the things like FP submit forms or the discussion web. As far as the later items they can easly be replaced with scripts that DH provides for you.

What I would really reccomend is just using FTP with FP, so that you have a working copy of all your site files on your computer. Then when you are ready to publish you can use FP to publish via FTP or a FTP program to up-load the files for you. It works the same either way.

However, if you are having problems with FTP and FP, you should probably check your settings. On defule FP tries to connect to your website with http. You'll need to tell it to connect with FTP ( a setting under an advnaced tab?) and then give it that url that support gave you.

If you don't want to do it this way, and just want to use FP live connect or what ever you will have to turn on FP extension. It's not such a huge deal as their pages make it out to be when you started to enable them, they just want to discourage people from doing it unnecessarly. When you do enable them it will take from 24 to 36 hours to update DNS information. After that, things should work just fine for you.

Also, if you enable FP extension make sure and keep regualr backups of your data. You should import your site to keep copies of your files localy on a regular basis. DH does keep backups of your data, however you have to put a suport request in to get it. (if you don't have FP extensions enabled, you can just FTP in and go to a hidden directory under your domain of .snapshot/ and access the files your self.)

-Matttail
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-25-2005, 10:16 AM
FTP & Front Page
Since you already posted your disclaimer, I'll resist poking fun at Frontpage.

Check out the kbase area on Frontpage.

It sounds like the nitty gritty is in this one.
03-25-2005, 12:38 PM
FTP & Front Page
Thanks for your quick reply. Before I go ahead and enable FP extensions, I'd like to exhaust other avenues.

I've tried just publishing it through FTP in FP using the ftp address they suggested, but it will never go through, it just times out and gives me the errror message >>425 can't build data connection:Connection timed out<<

In the meantime, I downloaded Nvu and tried using it. I just made up a quick little one page website, basically saying it was under construction and tried to publish it. I got through all the steps, and it said (much too fast as far as I'm concerned) that the site was published to site URL ftp://ftp.mydomain.com. However when I go to my websites address it just shows the following:

Name Last modified Size Description

Parent Directory 25-Mar-2005 11:23 -

Is there something else I'm missing here?

Also, if I do enable FP extensions, would I also theoretically be able to use FTP to publish my website (if I ever get FTP working)?

Thanks for everyone's assistance, I really love forums where people are willing to help out!
03-25-2005, 12:55 PM
FTP & Front Page
hmm...
First off the easiest part of your post to asnwer. if you do enable FP extension you will no longer be able to acces your site via FTP.

now, it seems like you are having some other kidn of an issue. Try this: click Start > Run Then type into the box "cmd" You'll get a black box. type in "ftp domain.com" then hit enter. change domain.com to your domain. If things are working correctly it sould go somehting like this:

Connected to domain.com
...dreamhost FTP machine.dreamhost.com

it should then prompt for user name and password. Put these in. If that goes though you get a
"230 user UserName loged in" followed by ftp> prompt. you can then type "quit" and close the cmd box.

If this worked, then you were able to connect to your site via FTP. If this didn't work and you got an error or something, doubel check your spelling, and then let us know what happened.

-Matttail
03-25-2005, 12:59 PM
FTP & Front Page
right, and to follwo up on my own post, if you were able to connect with the ftp command, then the problem is somewhere in the settings that you are using to set up your programs on your computer.

If not, there may be some kind of a set-up error on DH's end, and may require a support ticket.

-Matttail
03-25-2005, 01:09 PM
FTP & Front Page
Quote:
Quote:First off the easiest part of your post to asnwer. if you do enable FP extension you will no longer be able to acces your site via FTP.<<

That's what I was afraid of.....

Anyway, I went through the CMD and it all went through just as you described. Does that mean it should be working? If so, what could I possibly be doing wrong when trying to publish through FTP?
03-25-2005, 02:06 PM
FTP & Front Page
I'm not personally familiar with Nvu, but it looks like your publishing URL is wrong. it should be ftp://mydomain.com/mydoman.com

Is that how you are speciifing the line when you tell FP where to connect to? I believe what has happened with Nvu, is that the files were up-loaded behind the web-accesible area. If you were to use the steps provided above using CMD and type in "ls" after you've loged in I think you would find your page created with Nvu there.

When you connnect with FTP, it opens up the directory structure for that user name. The directores and files there are not aviable to people visiting your site. You have to place files that you want website visitors to see under the directory mydomain.com.

so long story short, when in FP you click File > Publish Web
where is says "specify the location to publish your web to:" you will fill that box in with ftp://mydomain.com/mydomain.com (obviously replacing by instances of mydomain.com with your actual doamin name)
Then click publish. It should promot you for a user name and passowrd after that. And FP might even complain that you have dynamic FP components in one or more of your pages and won't work becuase you don't have FP extensions emabled. If this pops up, just click continue.

does this work for you?

-Matttail
03-25-2005, 03:24 PM
FTP & Front Page
Nvu's FTP is a little confusing. It's looking for you to connect this way:

ftp://www.yoursite.com/yoursite.com

because of the way the virtual domains are set up.

You can also use the Dreamhost control panel to FTP into your domain, then just drag and drop your files into your yoursite.com directory.
03-25-2005, 03:37 PM
FTP & Front Page
THANK YOU! THANK YOU! (Yes I meant to shout)

It's now working and I'm able to publish from Nvu. I still haven't gotten it to work in FP, but at least I've got something up there. I'm not sure why it's not working in FP as I'm using the same address to publish to.

Now if I design something in Front Page, should I be able to save it to my computer and then open it in Nvu and publish from there?

Just out of curosity, what program do you use to design your website? You said you wern't familiar with Nvu. I've always just used Front Page, I like the WYSIWYG and I know just a little HTML coding, but not enough to design a whole website with it. I've just used it for entering keywords etc.

I don't want to spend a lot of money on a web design program, and it looks like Nvu is not as easy to use as FP. I'd really like something that has templates already designed to start from and then change it from there.

Any suggestions on programs that are simple to use out there???

What about FileZilla?