Current time: 04-21-2014, 12:51 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

data export - how to allow download of file?
03-19-2005, 12:43 PM
Hello, all - I want to allow a client to log into a restricted area of their site created by me (that's not the hard part) and use a PHP script to download the .dat files they export from their Miva store. I've fiddled about with a couple ideas, but the data files are located outside the scope of the web-accessible pages. I've tried using a PHP exec() command to copy it to somewhere I can get at it from a PHP page with no success. I can grab and display a directory listing of the otherwise inaccessible directory, so I'm wondering if I'm closer than I think. Anyhow, has anyone done this and do you have any advice?

This is the ONLY function my client needs, so we're trying to avoid buying another module. It seems like it should be a relatively simple scripting project - I'd do it with a cron job if it didn't need to happen at random times throughout the day - whenever the client decides to export the file and grab it for their own spreadsheet use. (If anyone has an idea about that, I'd be happy to hear it, too.) I'm not unfamiliar with PHP but I'm fairly new to the system admin half of things, so there may be a simple *nix way to do this that I'm just not finding.

Anyhow, I'm hoping to do this with a web interface - I doubt they want to learn how to use an FTP client. Moreover, I want to limit their access to the guts of Miva Merchant if I can, just to be safe.

Thanks very much in advance - have a good day!

T
Find all posts by this user
03-20-2005, 05:17 PM
Hello again - never mind. I got this part working to my satisfaction. I do have a question about the data export functions within Miva - I just posted it to this forum.

Thanks!

T
Find all posts by this user