Current time: 04-23-2014, 11:06 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Using Domains on different plans?
03-04-2005, 10:30 AM
I have *2* CodeMonster Plans. Let's call them Plan A and Plan B. Both are managed through the same DH control panel.

If I have a Domain on Plan A, is there any reason I COULD NOT create a MIVA shopping cart for this domain that works through a secure server set-up on plan B?

For instance, if "www.armidillo.com" is on Plan A, and I want to setup a subdomain of "www.onlinestore.com" on Plan B so that "armidillo.onlinestore.com" can be used for a MIVA cart, is that doable?

If so, is the MIVA cart setup for "www.armidillo.com" or for "armidillo.onlinestore.com"?

This isn't clear from the knowledgebase and the info on setting up and using domains with MIVA and sub-domains that aren't on the same "DH Plan". Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
03-04-2005, 11:21 AM
If the domain onlinestore.com is in plan B, then there'd be no problem setting up a subdomain armidillo.onlinestore.com in that plan too, and setting up a secure server with it. This would be connected to the domain onlinestore.com, not to the domain armidillo.com, though there would be nothing to stop you from putting links between the two sites on the web pages themselves, and using one site to make transactions for the other. That would be independent of what accounts Dreamhost considered the sites to belong to.

-- Dan
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-04-2005, 11:50 AM
Thanks Dan!

So in my example, where would I add the MIVA account? To the "www.onlinestore.com" domain or to the "armidillo.onlinestore.com" sub-domain?

I'm not really clear on what the best way is to set up MIVA, and I haven't found a clear description in the KB as to what the preferred way is.

Perhaps what is confusing is that you are allowed 1 MIVA license, but you obviously can have 15 domains on a CodeMonster account. So how do you install MIVA (and where) to allow it to be used by (potential) stores for all 15 of those domains?

Do you see what I'm getting at?

Or, do you "install" MIVA for each domain (or sub-domain) you want to use it with, and simply use the same license for all of them? Again, this part isn't clear.

Further, since I signed up for *2* codeMonster accounts, doesn't that mean I would be entitled to *2* MIVA licenses?

Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
03-08-2005, 12:50 PM
You set up MIVA using the particular subdomain it is under, like armidillo.onlinestore.com. You only have one copy of MIVA, in only one subdomain, but there's nothing stopping you from putting pages in that subdomain that relate to transactions for different online stores which are in different domains. It just means that the URLs the users see on the secure pages aren't in the same domain as the particular stores they are in. If you wanted secure pages actually in subdomains of the particular domain of the store, you'd have to set up multiple secure certificates at added cost.

-- Dan
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user