Current time: 04-23-2014, 12:32 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

COUNTERS
04-27-2002, 11:35 AM
COUNTERS
I have several sites up and running perfectly. What I wanted to know is, does anybody know the exact way to implement the webpage "Counter" in order for it to start counting correctly? I tried everything in the counter instructions but was unclear about the linking phase.
Here is how it is presented:
"All Dreamhost site hosting plans give you access to our free counter script, which allows you to place a counter on your pages (even those on non-CGI enabled plans!). All you need to do is create a link to the counter script, specifying a location to a data file which stores your count."- How do you create this link? When I did this in my program Dreamweaver, it simply links to display the file created and cannot do so. For instance, I created a file called goof.dat. Then linked to that file in Dreamweaver. And then when you run your mouse over the displayed counter it wants to display the file. A wrong move...

"The counter script automatically creates a new data file if you link to it, with the count starting at 0. If you'd like a number other than 0, please contact tech support."- This does not work with my configuration.

"Copy the following image tag HTML into your page for a quick and easy counter. Remember to change the data file from 'username-countername.dat' to your own name. Optionally, you can specify the counter style (as shown below) as well. Just add the indicated paramaters to the URL below."- I did this, but what "username" do I use? I used my dreamhost username like this johnny77-goof.dat as is displayed below.

< img src='http://counter.dreamhost.com/cgi-bin/Count.cgi?df=johnny77-goof.dat&pad=F&ft=0&dd=A&istrip=T'>

All I get is a counter with a "1" displayed at the location where I placed it on the page when displayed in one browser,. when I used a second browser to view the page I got the same number as though it is not counting visitors. What is going on here?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-28-2002, 01:29 PM
COUNTERS
ah, that's just because the counter doesn't register two hits in a row from the same IP (computer)! It should keep going up as other people visit your site!

josh!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply