Current time: 04-23-2014, 09:20 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

dreambook vs bulletin board
04-13-2002, 02:48 PM
Hi! I'm new to Dreamhost - my goal is to set up a few sites, 4 of which will contain bulletin boards. Since I am comfortable with Perl and with CGI, I was going to find a bulletin board script and install it -- it seems that there are a few free ones out there. But Dreamhost offers the Dreambook -- does anyone know if their Dreambook is preferable to using a bulletin board script? I don't want ads on the pages.

I'm not looking for anything fancy here; these are family and community sites.

Does anyone have bulletin board scripts that they recommend? I think something similar to this system (once you click on a thread, all the messages for that thread are displayed) would be perfect.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-13-2002, 03:37 PM
dreambook is more a guestbook than a bulletin board.

there are some recommendations for bulletin board scripts below (check the two threads below this for examples).
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-15-2002, 08:40 PM
I installed Ikonboard on my site and assisted in the set up on a non-profit site I manage. Ikon is free, but I highly recommend paying the $39 for them to install it vs doing it yourself. Less grief for one.

UBB by InfoPop is good, if you can afford it. I installed their demo. But I got more answers from the massive Ikonboard board than I did at Infopop.

Ikonboard prides themselves on assisting people hack into their board.

As for accessibility, Ikonboard is better. UBB is getting there but slowly.

HR

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?
mine - http://holyroller.org
dog's - http://joella.holyroller.org
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user