Current time: 04-23-2014, 03:07 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

How to setup my email?
03-17-2012, 02:32 PM
How to setup my email?
Hello All,

I'm a complete beginner here, so please bear with me. I'm trying to set up my email. I got my domain from namecheap and Dreamhost is my host. When I try to setup my e-mail on my Mac Lion OS, it asks for incoming and outgoing server, which I can't figure it out. I read it's mail.yourdomain.com but when I try that it says it's not responding.

I don't know what to do now. Please help.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-17-2012, 03:17 PM (This post was last modified: 03-17-2012 03:17 PM by sXi.)
RE: How to setup my email?
Have you had the domain hosted here for long or is it new today, and does the domain resolve in a browser?

Maximum Cash Discount on any plan with MAXCASH

How To Install PHP.INI / ionCube on DreamHost
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-17-2012, 04:19 PM (This post was last modified: 03-17-2012 04:21 PM by Gene Steinberg.)
(03-17-2012 02:32 PM)xmizer Wrote:  Hello All,

I'm a complete beginner here, so please bear with me. I'm trying to set up my email. I got my domain from namecheap and Dreamhost is my host. When I try to setup my e-mail on my Mac Lion OS, it asks for incoming and outgoing server, which I can't figure it out. I read it's mail.yourdomain.com but when I try that it says it's not responding.

I don't know what to do now. Please help.

So if your domain is fizbin.com, for example, it would be mail.fizbin.com for incoming and outgoing in Apple Mail. I assume that you set up your site in DreamHost's Web panel to point to their nameservers (ns1.dreamhost.com, etc., etc.) and to allow DreamHost to host your mail, right?

If the DreamHost end of it is set up properly, your settings in Apple Mail for Lion should fall right into place. Let me know if you need any guidance on that end. And, if you upgrade to Lion's successor this summer, Mountain Lion, what you set now carry through without alteration. Trust me. Smile

Peace,
Gene Steinberg
Host/Executive Producer
The Tech Night Owl LIVE
Host/Executive Producer
The Paracast
03-17-2012, 05:34 PM (This post was last modified: 03-17-2012 05:35 PM by xmizer.)
(03-17-2012 04:19 PM)Gene Steinberg Wrote:  So if your domain is fizbin.com, for example, it would be mail.fizbin.com for incoming and outgoing in Apple Mail. I assume that you set up your site in DreamHost's Web panel to point to their nameservers (ns1.dreamhost.com, etc., etc.) and to allow DreamHost to host your mail, right?

If the DreamHost end of it is set up properly, your settings in Apple Mail for Lion should fall right into place. Let me know if you need any guidance on that end. And, if you upgrade to Lion's successor this summer, Mountain Lion, what you set now carry through without alteration. Trust me. Smile

You mean I have to point Namecheap to DreamHost right?
(03-17-2012 03:17 PM)sXi Wrote:  Have you had the domain hosted here for long or is it new today, and does the domain resolve in a browser?

I'm completely fresh. Doing everything for the first time.
03-17-2012, 06:01 PM (This post was last modified: 03-17-2012 06:03 PM by Gene Steinberg.)
(03-17-2012 05:34 PM)xmizer Wrote:  You mean I have to point Namecheap to DreamHost right?

I'm completely fresh. Doing everything for the first time.

To host a site on DreamHost, you have to setup DreamHost's name servers over at Namecheap. This is done under My Account > Manage Domains in your Namecheap control panel.

Check this link to one of their FAQ articles:

http://www.namecheap.com/support/knowled...-my-domain

You then have to return to DreamHost's control panel to set up your hosting. There are instructions on both company's sites to guide you to the step-by-step. It's not hard, but since you're new at this, just take it slowly and carefully, and ask for help from both companies if you need guidance on where to go.

Once everything is set up, I can help you with the Mac stuff if you still need it.

Peace,
Gene Steinberg
Host/Executive Producer
The Tech Night Owl LIVE
Host/Executive Producer
The Paracast
03-17-2012, 07:34 PM
It works now. Thanks