Current time: 04-24-2014, 03:12 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Database problems
03-03-2012, 06:17 PM
Database problems
Hey everybody,

Please forgive me if this is a dumb question. I'm new to absolutely all of this, and I'm starting to get frustrated with the process. I recently signed up for a hosting plan with DreamHost and installed WordPress, but whenever I go to create a configuration file, I get this message after filling out the required fields:

--

We were able to connect to the database server (which means your username and password is okay) but not able to select the chicagofieldguide database.

Are you sure it exists?
Does the user chicagofieldguid have permission to use the chicagofieldguide database?
On some systems the name of your database is prefixed with your username, so it would be like username_chicagofieldguide. Could that be the problem?

--

What am I missing here? I'm entering all of the information exactly as it appears on my control panel. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much in advance.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-03-2012, 07:02 PM
RE: Database problems
so, um, did you create a database named chicagofieldguide yet?
03-03-2012, 07:06 PM
I did. Which is why I'm so confused as to why it won't accept it.
03-03-2012, 07:10 PM (This post was last modified: 03-03-2012 07:11 PM by bobocat.)
(03-03-2012 07:06 PM)paoloURS Wrote:  I did. Which is why I'm so confused as to why it won't accept it.

You've probably got a typo somewhere. Your user is named chicagofieldguid and your database is chicagofieldguide. They don't have to be, nor should they be, the same, but verify that you've entered everything correctly.

If DH set up the DB for you, there will be a 4-5 letter table prefix that needs to be set in the config file, but I doubt that's the problem.
03-03-2012, 11:02 PM
Another way to test it would be to go in to Panel > Goodies > MySQL Databases.

Double check the Hostname there. While you're at it, click on the PHPMyAdmin button and see if you can login. If not - and you're absolutely 100% double triple sure that you're entering the correct username and password, click on the Add New Hostname button and setup another alias to try connecting with. You can have as many as you want (they will all point at the same physical location).

Maximum Cash Discount on any plan with MAXCASH

How To Install PHP.INI / ionCube on DreamHost
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user