Current time: 04-23-2014, 03:48 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Will I Experience This Error with DH?
12-15-2011, 07:01 AM
Will I Experience This Error with DH?
I'm currently hosted with another provider for hosting my WordPress site. In trying to upgrade to WordPress 3.3, I ended hosting my site. Don't know why and at this moment, I'm only interested in restoring a backup that I have using a software called "Backup Creator".

In executing the restore, I get the following error:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 67108864 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 32 bytes)...

Reading WordPress support docs, they recommend I do the following:

1. Try adding this line to your wp-config.php file:
define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '64M');

2. If you have access to your PHP.ini file, change the line in PHP.ini
If your line shows 32M try 64M:
memory_limit = 64M ; Maximum amount of memory a script may consume (64MB)

3. If you don't have access to PHP.ini try adding this to an .htaccess file:
php_value memory_limit 64M

4. Talk to your host.

I can't do any of this with my current provider successfully.

I know this is more technical in nature but I can't speak with technical support unless I'm a DH customer. In brief, can I do this with DH or at least get the configuration changed to allow the PHP script to run?

As you can guess, I'm currently SOL in restoring my site until I hear back from my current provider which is frustrating me to want to switch to DH.

Thanks. Richard
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-15-2011, 07:28 AM
RE: Will I Experience This Error with DH?
DH seems to allow around 100MB per user, so it shouldn't be a problem provided you stay within that limit. You might look into other ways of backing up and restoring, such as using phpmyadmin for the DB and svn or git for the files.
12-15-2011, 07:35 AM
(12-15-2011 07:28 AM)bobocat Wrote:  DH seems to allow around 100MB per user, so it shouldn't be a problem provided you stay within that limit. You might look into other ways of backing up and restoring, such as using phpmyadmin for the DB and svn or git for the files.

Thanks for replying. If that's true, that would work for me I guess. I wonder if DH is above the norm for this setting or if my current provider just gives too little (rhetorical). I can't imagine being the only person experiencing this error and just want to use a hosting service where I'm not reasonably limited by simple configuration settings.

I'm just a regular guy who wanted to use a single tool that would allow me to easily backup and restore my site (and port it to another web host if necessary).

My initial impression is that using multiple tools to backup complicates things and then figuring out how to restore makes things even more complex.
12-15-2011, 04:53 PM
the tools you use depends on your own knowledge and ability. If you have some experience with *nix and web development, then you would probably see little value in a commercial backup product because all the tools you'll need are already available for free and usually built right into the OS. If you have less experience, then something which simplifies / shields the processes from the user would help, but does create overhead as you noted. If the tools are web-based, you'll start running into problems for database sizes above 64MB or 128MB or so even if you're not on shared hosting.

Anyway, to address your question about DH, I'm of the opinion that in general, DH is one of the more permissive hosts. I've been looking into this lately and when you look deeply into 'unlimited' hosts, you'll find restrictions that DH doesn't impose, at least not explicitly. For example, in addition to limiting the amount of CPU time you can use (as all, including DH, do), some will also limit the number of scripts that can be run per hour and per day. So even if your script is super-duper efficient and fast and uses almost no RAM or CPU time, once you exceed a certain number, you'll be punished. In fact, I'm pretty sure that I read one TOS that stated script execution times over 2 seconds would result in instant termination of your account with no refund and no questions asked!

The biggest reason I'm still with DH after almost three years is because I can't find any alternative for roughly the same price that offers the same or better resource allowances. There might be hosts with better uptime, but they tend to be more expensive.
12-15-2011, 05:03 PM (This post was last modified: 12-15-2011 05:08 PM by ronthai.)
WordPress has many backup plugins that you can save to your computer by email or FTP.
I use WP on several sites and had no problems updating.
OK, I have WP do the updates, not DH.

No limits with these options what ever host you use.

About DH, I can tell you one thing, maybe more:
not perfect (which host is for 6-10 USD monthly/yearly), but very good.
HONEST
GREAT SUPPORT
HONEST TROUBLE SHOUTING (dreamhoststatus.com)
GREAT, SO MUCH MORE
SO I WILL LET OTHER LONGTERM CUSTOMER FILL IT IN

GREAT ....
GREAT ....
GREAT ....
GREAT ....
GREAT ....
GREAT ....
GREAT ....
GREAT ....