Current time: 04-17-2014, 02:43 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Custom PHP + APC
12-09-2011, 05:07 AM
Custom PHP + APC
I am currently considering installing a custom PHP with APC. This is something I have no experience doing and I have a few questions. Forgive me if they're silly. Tongue

I'm looking at the PHP 5.3 + Xdebug + APC install script. Is this something I can run by itself and get all those things setup, or is there additional steps that need to be taken first?

I'm currently on a free trial for VPS, though I'm considering moving back to shared when it's done since I have not seen any performance increase after the move. I have both mediawiki and an SMF forum installed, and I've been trying to improve their performance.

After installing a custom php, is it automatically set for all of my domains? Or is this something I would have to select under each domain settings? I ask mainly because I want to know if this will do bad things to my currently active websites if something goes wrong during installation.

Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-09-2011, 07:33 AM
RE: Custom PHP + APC
Ok, so I actually managed to get the above answers already. I'm trying to actually install the script now, but I'm getting this error:

Code:
2011-12-09 06:30:38 (464 KB/s) - `openssl-1.0.0e.tar.gz' saved [4040229/4040229]

--2011-12-09 06:30:38--  http://ignum.dl.sourceforge.net/project/mcrypt/Libmcrypt/2.5.8/libmcrypt-
Resolving ignum.dl.sourceforge.net... 62.109.128.11, 2001:1ab0:7e1f:1:230:48ff:fed1:9c0a
Connecting to ignum.dl.sourceforge.net|62.109.128.11|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 302 Found
Location: http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/mcrypt/Libmcrypt/2.5.8/libmcrypt-?download&failedmirror=ignum.dl.sourceforge.net [following]
--2011-12-09 06:30:38--  http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/mcrypt/Libmcrypt/2.5.8/libmcrypt-?download&failedmirror=ignum.dl.sourceforge.net
Resolving downloads.sourceforge.net... 216.34.181.59
Connecting to downloads.sourceforge.net|216.34.181.59|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
2011-12-09 06:30:38 ERROR 404: Not Found.

Any ideas?
12-09-2011, 11:11 AM
Okay, so I managed to fix the issue and got past all the downloading and unpacking and it got as far as building. Not really a bug, but the installer asked me a question and I have no idea how to answer.

Quote:+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+ Building with IPv6 support
+
+ NOTE: Some versions of glibc have a bug in the getaddrinfo
+ call which does DNS name resolution. This bug causes host
+ names to be canonicalized incorrectly, as well as doing an
+ unnecessary and performance-sapping reverse DNS call. This
+ problem does not affect the IPv4 gethostbyname call.
+
+ getaddrinfo works properly on Mac OS X and Windows. However,
+ the problem has been observed on some Linux systems.
+
+ If you answer n to the following question the build will be
+ cancelled and you must rebuild. If you did not specify IPv6
+ yourself, try adding IP6=4 to the make command line.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Do you want to build with IPv6 anyway? Type y or n please:

Should I answer yes or no? And if I answer no, where do I add this "IP6=4"?
12-09-2011, 12:22 PM
Please don't use that install script! It's no longer necessary, as there's now "official" PHP 5.3 support available in the DreamHost Panel (under Manage Domains > Edit).

For custom extensions, such as APC, please see: http://wiki.dreamhost.com/PHP.ini#PHP_5.3
12-09-2011, 01:22 PM
Oh, ok, thanks. Well now I'm trying to install APC from the directions here using the custom php.ini.

But when I try to run /usr/local/php53/bin/phpize, it gives me this error message:

Quote:Cannot find config.m4.
Make sure that you run '/usr/local/php53/bin/phpize' in the top level source directory of the module
12-09-2011, 01:32 PM
Like the instructions say, make sure you're currently in the APC source directory when you run that command. (Just downloading the source isn't sufficient; you will need to extract it and cd to the APC directory first.)