Current time: 04-24-2014, 01:52 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Gmail: I can send but not receive...
10-06-2011, 08:29 PM (This post was last modified: 10-06-2011 08:30 PM by KRAWSH.)
Gmail: I can send but not receive...
I changed my "nameserver 1 & 2" to ns1.ipage.com to host my domain. I already had gmail configured and working properly before this. My splash page is now up: ChildsPlayMedia.net.

After the name change gmail(martin@childsplaymedia.net via gmail) stopped sending/receiving. I started up the "MX" email service, logged into my gmail and gave it over 24 hrs to reflect. I can now send emails but if I reply they never get back to martin@childsplaymedia.net.

Any advice? I'm still a newbie to this hole experience and am surprised I got the gmail up and running with my domain(before hosting & server name change) to begin with.

Thanks in advance for any help on alleviating my problem.

KRAWSH
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-07-2011, 12:00 PM
RE: Gmail: I can send but not receive...
Since you've changed your nameservers to ipage, we're no longer in control of the MX records, which control how mail to your domain is routed. You'll need to make sure that GMail is set up as your mail server on the ipage end of things — since I'm not familiar with their service, though, I can't provide any exact directions.
03-06-2012, 05:05 PM
Andrew, hi, I'm having the same problem, but mine is a bit simpler and maybe you can give me the proper answer. I have my gmail accounts set up and they can send, but they do not receive any email. I am hosting through dreamhost and have used dreamhost's option to use gmail which I see automatically sets the mx records but it still will not take. The only thing I can think of is that I have set up this domain to forward to another one when the page loads, but I don't think that should affect email. What am I doing wrong? I have verified the domain with gmail, I have updated dreamhost as of yesterday afternoon to the default gmail mx records. Thanks for any thoughts you have.

-Krstrobe
03-06-2012, 05:19 PM
The MX records are strictly to set up your site to use Gmail. You still have to configure your email client with your account, or use the Gmail Web client. Have you done that?

Peace,
Gene Steinberg
Host/Executive Producer
The Tech Night Owl LIVE
Host/Executive Producer
The Paracast
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-06-2012, 05:25 PM (This post was last modified: 03-06-2012 05:25 PM by krstrobe.)
yes, I have the gmail web client set up and running but no incoming emails. I changed the MX records so I could use gmail. I have done this before but there appears to be a disconnect in this case. My google cpanel tells me it's still updating the MX records, that they are propagating, so I may need to just wait... it's already been 24 hours... should it be taking this long? Thanks for your quick reply Smile
03-06-2012, 05:30 PM
It may be an issue with Google. But, yes, it should be resolved far faster than that.

Unfortunately, getting assistance is not going to be easy. Google won't provide direct support, other than in their message boards, unless you opt for the business version of Google Apps. I don't think DreamHost officially supports these setups, even though they provide the tools.

Peace,
Gene Steinberg
Host/Executive Producer
The Tech Night Owl LIVE
Host/Executive Producer
The Paracast
03-06-2012, 05:35 PM
ok, thanks for the information, Gene. I think I'll try resetting the MX records in dreamhost and not just keep waiting. I haven't had it take long in the past but I wasn't sure if something just may need more time.
03-06-2012, 05:40 PM
I moved four of my domains to Gmail some time back. Two used the free Google Apps setup; two used the business version. In all case, it was no more than an hour or so before email started coming in. But those things aren't always predictable.

Peace,
Gene Steinberg
Host/Executive Producer
The Tech Night Owl LIVE
Host/Executive Producer
The Paracast
03-06-2012, 05:47 PM
Ok here's hoping it starts receiving. Do you think the domain forwarding has anything to do with it?
03-06-2012, 05:53 PM
Ouch. Well, I do think that's maybe an issue. You should ask.

Peace,
Gene Steinberg
Host/Executive Producer
The Tech Night Owl LIVE
Host/Executive Producer
The Paracast