Current time: 04-23-2014, 03:07 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Probably very simple...
06-01-2011, 05:42 AM
Probably very simple...
Hi All,

When I signed up with dh, I saw something that talked about dh setting up a sample coming soon page. I opted not to do this because I wanted to install vbulletin first.

All seems fine. But, now I want a front page (ahead of the forum).

My directory tree looks like this:

Home
-username (folder)
-mysite.com (folder)
-mysite.com/mysite_forum (folder)

When I go to mysite.com in a browser, the page is blank...naturally. When I type in the forum addy, the forum comes up.... all good.

I have tried creating a new directory in mysite.com. I called it Index. It was inserted below the mysite.com/mysite_forum. When I go to browser, I have to specifically type in mysite.com/index to see the page. Do I need to name the directory "home" or something else?

Man, I am sure I am missing something so simple.

Thanks for any help.

Lisa
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-01-2011, 07:42 AM
RE: Probably very simple...
um i don't understand what you are trying to do. if you made mysite.com and didn't put anything in there it will be blank yes. if you create mysite.com/index and put stuff in there of course you would have to go to mysite.com/index to access whatever is in the folder you named 'index'. are you trying to get whatever is in 'index' to show up when you type just mysite.com? is there some reason you don't just put whatever is in 'index' into the main mysite.com folder? i really cannot comprehend why you would make a sub-directory and name it 'index' instead of just putting what you want to show up in the mysite.com folder but anyhow if you would prefer mysite.com to forward automatically to mysite.com/index you can use an .htaccess file just put the following into it:

301 redirect /index.php mysite.com/index

Now you have to place the .htaccess file in the mysite.com folder for this to work and I have not actually ever tested to see if it would work even if you didn't actually have an index.php (or .html, etc) file in there but you could just create a blank one if it was crapping out or something I guess. Here is a good page about redirection for future reference

http://www.squidoo.com/301

http://www.marciesgifts.com
PM for manual CMS(drupal,joomla,etc)/Blog(WP,MT,etc
)/forum(phpbb,smf,etc) install/transfer $75.
$25 Off w/promo code SPRINKLES
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-01-2011, 09:02 AM
Yup, I guess I am confused. Sorry I am not being clear.

I will try to clarify what I am asking.

I do have something on my site. I have a forum. So my directory tree has the main directory (mysite.com) and then another directory under that that is mysite.com/mysite_forum. I just made a simple html using openoffice and wanted to put it in the mysite.com directory so that I can see it when I go to mysite.com only.
06-01-2011, 09:32 AM
ok that html page needs to be named index.html in order for it to show up by default and placed in the mysite.com folder

06-01-2011, 10:16 AM
This is what I get when I try to ftp to mysite.com....

Command: put "E:\Lisa\sitefolder\index.html" "index.html"
Status: local:E:\Lisa\sitefolder\index.html => remote:/home/username/mysite.com/index.html
Status: File transfer successful, transferred 516 bytes in 1 second
Command: cd "/home/username/mysite.com/home"
Error: Directory /home/username/mysite.com/home: no such file or directory
Error: Failed to retrieve directory listing

Is it looking for a "home" directory to put the index.html into?
06-01-2011, 10:31 AM
apparently it is trying to navigate to go to the subdirectory 'home' afterwards. what program are you even using? it looked like the index.html file was uploaded correctly to mysite.com but its not showing up? i can't really tell you much if you won't tell me your domain name

06-01-2011, 11:13 AM
(06-01-2011 10:31 AM)Ryo-ohki Wrote:  apparently it is trying to navigate to go to the subdirectory 'home' afterwards. what program are you even using? it looked like the index.html file was uploaded correctly to mysite.com but its not showing up? i can't really tell you much if you won't tell me your domain name

Sorry about that, I thought I was supposed to keep it generic.

cwpnetwork.com is the domain.

I am using filezilla for ftp and I just created a simple html in openoffice.

Thanks for taking the time. I just can't get the grey-matter working today.

Lisa
06-01-2011, 11:16 AM (This post was last modified: 06-01-2011 11:18 AM by Ryo-ohki.)
I see a page that says hi there so I guess you got it to work? also if you plan on hand-coding pages yourself you might want to look into notepad++ it is a free text editor and very good. Also it comes with ftp functionality so you can just use one program to code your stuff and upload Smile

06-01-2011, 11:20 AM
(06-01-2011 11:16 AM)Ryo-ohki Wrote:  I see a page that says hi there so I guess you got it to work? also if you plan on hand-coding pages yourself you might want to look into notepad++ it is a free text editor and very good. Also it comes with ftp functionality so you can just use one program to code your stuff and upload Smile

Oh man, I kept refreshing and it wasn't coming up. I just did the most simple silly thing so that I could see if I had the right starting point.

I can't thank you enough for taking the time out for me. ARG

Lisa
06-01-2011, 11:25 AM
Ah its possible it was a cache issue. Next time you make changes and they aren't reflecting use ctrl+f5 that will force refresh and pull the latest file from the server.