Current time: 04-23-2014, 01:02 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

SLOW Video Playback Using JW Player
04-07-2011, 08:53 AM
SLOW Video Playback Using JW Player
Hello,

I'm doing some testing of self-hosted videos for my new site. I'm using the JW Player and the source video file is a 400MB *.mov file. I'm using the latest JW Player, which streams in both HTML5 and/or Flash. I do not want to limit my site to QuickTime and the JW Player is an industry standard so it should work.

The video playback takes a long time to buffer and stream. Is this a setting that Dreamhost can somehow adjust for faster playback? Should I use some kind of compression on my video at the source? Is anyone else having success with self-hosted videos and the JW Player?

Here's the one self-hosted video currently on the site:
http://splattermusic.com/music-vidz/katr...ame-on-me/

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Find all posts by this user
04-07-2011, 10:16 AM
RE: SLOW Video Playback Using JW Player
You'll need to compress the video down to a smaller file size - 400 MB for a 220 second video is an EXTREMELY high bitrate (14.5 Mbps), and would require an extremely fast Internet connection (as well as a pretty fast computer!) to play smoothly.

The DreamHost Panel has a tool which can do this for you, located under Goodies > Flash Media.
04-07-2011, 10:36 AM (This post was last modified: 04-07-2011 10:36 AM by splatterMUSIC.)
RE: SLOW Video Playback Using JW Player
Wow, that totally resolved the issue. I cannot thank you enough for the info and taking the time to reply.

If I may... I'm using the latest JW Player so that files can be viewed in both HTML5 and Flash. Now that this has been converted to Flash, do you think HTML5 folks, (few they are now, I realize), will be able to view it in this new format? If it's all dependent on the player, and not the source file, then I should be good.
Wow, that totally resolved the issue. I cannot thank you enough for the info and taking the time to reply.

If I may... I'm using the latest JW Player so that files can be viewed in both HTML5 and Flash. Now that this has been converted to Flash, do you think HTML5 folks, (few they are now, I realize), will be able to view it in this new format? If it's all dependent on the player, and not the source file, then I should be good.