Current time: 04-17-2014, 12:13 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

If you get a notice in the mail telling you to renew your domain name...
03-23-2011, 12:25 PM
If you get a notice in the mail telling you to renew your domain name...
My Dreamhost-registered domain name registration is included with my Dreamhost account, gets renewed every year automatically for me.

But you wouldn't know it by looking at the "Domain Name Expiration Notice" that just winged its way through the mail at me.

It looks very official. It's got my name on it, and my domain name. And a place to write in a credit card number and expiration date, and there's a mountain of very, very fine print on the back of it.

I can imagine how someone unfamiliar with how these things work might just fall for it and start paying $35 a year for something they were already getting for $10 a year, or maybe even getting for free, as I've been.

I'm sure a few others here have gotten these things. I'm not going to say the name of the company that sent it to me, but I will point out the irony of the fact that they're actually located in Canada.

If you've gotten one of these, you know what to do with it.
Find all posts by this user
03-23-2011, 04:06 PM
RE: If you get a notice in the mail telling you to renew your domain name...
I get them every year. It's fake. These companies make money by luring in people who pay them high fees and end up changing registrars because they don't know any better. Just ignore it. Now just so you know DH gives you a credit each year for your domain name so be sure you don't forget to go to Domains --> Registrations and renew your registration when its getting close to time. Either that or make sure you change the auto-renew option to Yes because I do not believe it is that way by default.

http://www.marciesgifts.com
PM for manual CMS(drupal,joomla,etc)/Blog(WP,MT,etc
)/forum(phpbb,smf,etc) install/transfer $75.
$25 Off w/promo code SPRINKLES
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user