Current time: 04-23-2014, 03:09 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

what constitutes abuse?
03-12-2011, 07:09 AM (This post was last modified: 03-12-2011 07:10 AM by Ryo-ohki.)
what constitutes abuse?
I'm curious about this. I've been wanting to report the posts Amjad keeps making since there are a zillion of them (ok really only 25 so far ...). They aren't actually spamming or advertising though. The posts seem relevant on the surface but they are just so numerous and usually useless by the time they are posted as they keep reviving old posts or posting similar responses to what has already been posted. I've seen a few other users doing this lately but not so frequently as this user. I can't imagine why other than to increase their post count for some reason.

http://www.marciesgifts.com
PM for manual CMS(drupal,joomla,etc)/Blog(WP,MT,etc
)/forum(phpbb,smf,etc) install/transfer $75.
$25 Off w/promo code SPRINKLES
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-12-2011, 12:05 PM
RE: what constitutes abuse?
Yeah, there appears to have been someone, or a group of related people*, creating new accounts on the discussion forum lately and posting lots of barely relevant and often incorrect answers. I'm guessing it's part of some sort of spammy activity — maybe they're hoping to come back later and edit spam links into their posts — but I haven't been able to figure out their modus operandi. It's really weird!

(*: I'm quite certain they're all related, but I'm not saying how I know... I don't want to tip them off quite yet.)

Just to be clear, I have no problem with people, even new people or people who aren't customers, being hyperactive on the forums, so long as they follow the following common-sense guidelines:

1. It's better to not answer a question than it is to give a misleading or useless answer. If you don't know the answer to a question, you don't need to say anything: just let someone else answer it.
  2. If the question in a thread has already been answered, and/or the original poster has said that their problem has been solved, please don't post a reply unless you can provide some information which significantly improves upon what has already been said. Don't just restate what other users have said, especially on old threads!
  3. If you aren't a DreamHost customer, it's okay to answer questions, but take extra care that they are correct. In particular, keep in mind that we use a custom hosting control panel (not cPanel/Plesk/etc.) so some details may differ from other hosts.
Find all posts by this user
03-12-2011, 12:05 PM
RE: what constitutes abuse?
I saw them on the post listing, but the sheer number of them made me think it was link spam so I didn't look at any of them. Forum spam posts are not value-added and only serve as a way to plug a link. They usually have some really generic comment or have quoted or paraphrased earlier information.

-Scott
Find all posts by this user