Current time: 04-18-2014, 08:40 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Domain-hopping Drupal
03-01-2011, 11:13 AM
Domain-hopping Drupal
If I have a domain that I want to leave carefully alone (for example, http://www.ScrambledEggs.com) which is built entirely of flat files, and I want to build and test a Drupal version of that domain which won't screw with the working site, what's the smartest way to do this?

I saw this in a thread about WordPress and I thought "geez, maybe that would work" but I don't know:

1. get a new domain temporarily (such as Geflorgasnickety.com).
2. install Drupal to Geflorgasnickety.com
3. Build the site for ScrambledEggs.com there, and do all my testing.
4. When I'm totally happy with my site, change the names of the folders via FTP:
4a. Change [ScrambledEggs.com] to [temp]
4b. Change [Geflorgasnickety.com] to [ScrambledEggs.com]
4c. Change [temp] to [Geflorgasnickety.com]
5. Go into Drupal and change the settings so that it responds to ScrambledEggs.com

This seems... awfully simple to me. Thus, suspect.

Is this a feasible path, or am I smokin' banana skins?

Is there a better path toward achieving this? Is there a Q in an FAQ somewhere on this site?

Thanks!

Edward
Find all posts by this user
03-01-2011, 11:20 AM
RE: Domain-hopping Drupal
Yeah, that's totally feasible. There's an easy trick you can use to avoid having to buy an extra domain just for testing, though: use a subdomain of the final domain for testing (e.g, beta.scrambledeggs.com instead of geflorgasnickety.com).
03-01-2011, 11:22 AM
Oh -- adding a subdomain would work, too? That wouldn't produce a folder, though, would it?
03-01-2011, 12:01 PM
Sure it would. You'd end up with two folders for scrambledeggs.com and beta.scrambledeggs.com — unlike some other web hosts, we don't do anything crazy with subdomains like mapping them to subdirectories of the "parent" domain. Instead, we allow you to configure them completely separately from the parent domain.
03-01-2011, 12:10 PM
I shall try it, verily! Thanks!