Current time: 04-24-2014, 03:11 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What's with all the spam?
01-25-2011, 08:35 AM (This post was last modified: 01-25-2011 08:37 AM by Ryo-ohki.)
What's with all the spam?
Am I the only one getting annoyed with this? I think the bots are getting more sophisticated too. I've seen a few posts that didn't have the normal jumble of nonsense words strung together too. It was actual sentences albeit not helpful to the topic it was posted to but close to being about the subject. I think the registration process needs to be altered or something to weed out non-human registrations because the captcha there now apparently isn't good enough

http://www.marciesgifts.com
PM for manual CMS(drupal,joomla,etc)/Blog(WP,MT,etc
)/forum(phpbb,smf,etc) install/transfer $75.
$25 Off w/promo code SPRINKLES
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-25-2011, 08:47 AM
RE: What's with all the spam?
Yep, I'm annoyed too. Maybe the forums can be Customers Only, with the exception of Curious About DreamHost.

I also suspect that there are humans behind the spam since it's not a ton of posts scattered all over the place. It's usually a few hits and then they disappear.

-Scott
Find all posts by this user
01-25-2011, 08:58 AM
I doubt DH would make the forums customer only after all this time. You'd have to tie the new registrations and the current ones with their respective accounts somehow. I'm not saying it cannot be done but I'm sure it would be a pain in the ass. Perhaps something like e-mail verification in addition to stronger captcha would be in order. I can't remember if I had to verify my account or not since it's been so long ago but I don't think I did.

http://www.marciesgifts.com
PM for manual CMS(drupal,joomla,etc)/Blog(WP,MT,etc
)/forum(phpbb,smf,etc) install/transfer $75.
$25 Off w/promo code SPRINKLES
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-25-2011, 09:57 AM
We clean spam out daily, and routinely swing the banhammer to block these idiots, but if you see it, just report it using the button on the lower right hand corner of the message and one of the admins here will deal with it (I just finished banning a user and deleting their post a moment ago). ;-)

--rlparker
--DreamHost Staff
Find all posts by this user