Current time: 04-21-2014, 05:22 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
MyBB!
05-14-2010, 01:10 PM
MyBB!
After a mere nine years of using WWWThreads, we've finally decided to leap into the future and start using MyBB for our discussion forum instead!

There are a variety of reasons why we decided to use MyBB instead of other alternatives such as phpBB, SMF, bbPress, or commercial offerings like vBulletin and IPB... but suffice it to say that, of the open-source solutions available, MyBB was the easiest for us to convert our over 120,000 posts into, as well as one of the best-performing with this size of database. So far we've been extremely happy with it.

All existing posts should be converted, and, as long as you've made at least one post on the board in the past, your existing username should continue to work. Otherwise, just set up a new user now and join in!

Let us know if you run into any issues with the forum conversion, or if you have any technical questions about how we've set it up.

— Andrew
Find all posts by this user
05-15-2010, 10:17 PM
RE: MyBB!
Quote:There are a variety of reasons why we decided to use MyBB instead of other alternatives such as phpBB, SMF, bbPress, or commercial offerings like vBulletin and IPB... but suffice it to say that, of the open-source solutions available, MyBB was the easiest for us to convert our over 120,000 posts into, as well as one of the best-performing with this size of database.
I think the answer to your question lies in the above quote from Andrew's original post ;-)

--rlparker
--DreamHost Staff
05-16-2010, 01:31 PM
To expand on my previous statement a bit:

phpBB was the obvious first choice, as it's the forum we currently support as a one-click install. It doesn't make it easy to import data into it, though: the internal database format they use for bbcode is idiosyncratic and annoying. I'm also personally not a fan of how complicated they've made permissions management in phpBB 3.0, and its lack of any plugin system is simply inexcusable in this day and age.

We also looked into using bbPress — its status as a sister project to Wordpress made it look really promising, but it turned out to have some serious performance issues with larger forums (like this one). I'd wholeheartedly recommend it for smaller personal forums, though.

MyBB, on the other hand, has a sane database structure which is REALLY easy to convert data to — the hardest part of the conversion was getting data out of wwwthreads' format — and it performs amazingly well even with a large database. If you take a look in Firebug or similar, you may note that forum pages often load in under 100 ms. Yes, it really is that fast when configured properly with nginx and XCache — it's nearly as fast as static HTML!
05-17-2010, 05:14 AM
The old RSS feed URL is reporting 404 errors - you might want to put a perm redirect on it:

http://discussion.dreamhost.com/feeds/all_threads.rss
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-17-2010, 06:02 AM
So when are you going to make this super-terriffic MyBB a One-Click install?

-Scott
05-17-2010, 10:40 AM
habilis: I've set up permanent redirects for anything in /feeds/ — the URL you mentioned is now redirected to the equivalent new URL, and all other feeds are redirected to a placeholder directing the reader to change their settings. Thanks for pointing that out.

sdayman: That's a really interesting question. Historically, setting up new one-click installs has been a surprisingly involved process for us, so we've tried to pick our one-clicks carefully to have one application available in each of the common niches we see customers requesting. As such, there's one forum application (phpBB), one blog (Wordpress), one wiki (Mediawiki), and so on. However, we've got some changes in the pipeline which might make it easier for us to start supporting a larger variety of advanced one-click installs... we'll let you all know more once that comes closer to completion.
05-17-2010, 05:05 PM
Was the move to MyBB because it's free/open source? Smile I'm just curious because if it was me my choice will be vbulletin or IPB (invision).
05-17-2010, 05:20 PM
Yes, the open-source license was a significant factor in our decision to use MyBB. While we aren't dead-set against using any proprietary software at all, we generally try to use open-source software where possible, and the closed-source alternatives in this case don't appear to have any features which we can't live without.
05-18-2010, 05:00 AM
I love MyBB and I love Dreamhost!
05-18-2010, 07:16 AM
This is a significant upgrade and looks much more professional. Good job!
Thread Closed