Current time: 04-23-2014, 03:09 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Church Service mp3's help
03-28-2010, 08:59 PM
I’m looking into up-loading church service mp3’s to our DreamHosted website. For all the posts I’ve read regarding mp3’s, the first comment alludes to violations of Terms of Service.

How can I get this done with the fewest hassles, and not rocking the boat with DreamHost?

The target user accessing the mp3’s will be senior citizens, which use the web for little more than just email, so the method for listening to the service needs to be simple. The services will be just an hour or so long, and broken up into multiple files. There will be a handful of users that will want to listen to the whole service each week, and there will be ten to twenty people per week that may want to just listen to a particular choir peace or two. Since these files will have a bit rate of 80kbps (mono) an hour long service is about 35MB. I wouldn’t think this kind of activity would cause any bandwidth issues for DreamHost, but possibly, if I configure this access in the wrong manor, some red flags may come up for them.

All ideas are welcome. Thanks
Find all posts by this user
03-29-2010, 06:40 AM
If you own the copyright to the audio then you won't be rocking any boats. DreamHost provides you with oodles of bandwidth, so there will be no problems there.

For serving the audio to your listeners, the easiest way would be to implement a flash player that handles mp3s and playlists. There are many available freely online, or you can have someone make you a custom one. They're a very simple device and don't cost much to have custom made to suit your site.

Maximum Cash Discount on any plan with MAXCASH

How To Install PHP.INI / ionCube on DreamHost
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-11-2010, 08:23 AM
First of all please excuse me for my bad written english. I'm better in reading it than in writing.

My parish here in Italy is doing whay you ask weekly since 2006 but we put only only the sermons because we beleive that catholic regulations don't allow to offer registered events.

For years I just put links to the MP3 files but since some months I use a little flash application to let users hear the sermons without extra steps. You can see an example here:
http://www.parrocchiacarpenedo.it/funzio...o/2010.htm

I use Wordpress Audio player in the standalone edition (ie. not requiring Wordpress):
http://wpaudioplayer.com/standalone

No problem from Dreamhost since the files are produced by
us. We also release then under Creative Commons
(attribution, no commercial usage, no derivative works) but
I don't think you have to. Just be sure to have permission to
put contents online from authors (ie. people being recorded).

This applies for sermons, for chants you may have to check local regulations - and exceptions for churches.

Hope to have been useful.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-21-2010, 01:09 AM
RE: Church Service mp3's help
DataNut,

My church uploads our sermons to archive.org, and then use the xpsf player [http://musicplayer.sourceforge.net/] to put them on the website. it works well, and the older people in the church have no problem playing the files.

If you are in the US then you will have to check the copyright on each song, but you should not have any problem with the sermon copyright-wise.
Find all posts by this user