Current time: 04-18-2014, 07:29 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Where does the Spam go?
07-23-2004, 06:44 AM
Where does the Spam go?
I just looked over the options page, and there is no way to tell it where to deliver the spammy spam.... I have some knowledge of recipies for the procmail file -- is that where I need to make edits? What if it's just a mail user (m######)?

Do I have to go to mailboxes.mydomain.com to set these things up?

Thanks for the effort on this...

J
Find all posts by this user
07-23-2004, 06:53 AM
Where does the Spam go?
J,

Are you part of the beta trial of the spam? If not then you have posted this Q to the wrong area of the forums.

To answer your question -> https://panel.dreamhost.com/index.cgi?tr...l.filters&

Select I use I use IMAP / Webmail and you can map folders for your spam.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-23-2004, 08:47 AM
Where does the Spam go?
Yes -- I am part of the beta test.... I was looking at the different flagging and quarantine settings, and I wanted to know what happens after a message gets flagged as spam. Using a POP mail client, I know how to use filters with the X-Spam headers.

I currently use IMAP, and on my other domains, I have used procmail to move the spam into special folders (junk mail, junk mail.probable, etc.). I also have a missed folder that I run a cron job every so often to learn from the missed spam. None of this is very complicated (now), but it also works exceptionally well -- I'm down to one or two spams every week in my inbox. From what I can see in the beta, the whitelist feature is very nice -- I like using a web interface to set that up, but I cannot tell how to teach the spamassassin filter to know what my spam looks like.

J
Find all posts by this user
07-23-2004, 09:13 AM
Where does the Spam go?
This isn't "normal" SpamAssassin. It's Amavis (a generic sort of framework for scanning that acts as an MTA) directly loading the SA perl modules and doing its own thing.

The idea being that it's extremely efficient. Or a lot more efficient than forking procmail, which forks spamassasin (either the binary or the spamc/spamd stuff), which transforms the message and hands it back to procmail.

Instead, everything happens inside an instance of the amavis daemon, no forking, way faster.

Since procmail's not involved, you don't tell it where to put spam. Amavis lets you pick what SA score you do two things at:

1. At what score (or above) do I tag the subject line with **DHSPAM**
2. At what score (or above) do I quarantine the messsage?

The quarantine ends up in a database, which is read by the special Webmail (http://webmail2.dreamhost.com/) so that when you log in, if anything's been quaratined, it'll say "You Have 2 Junk Mail Messages". You interact w/ the quarantine through that interface.

Since all of that happens before any mail hits our "real" mail servers (where you connect for POP/IMAP) it should help keep loads way, way lower on them as we get most people using this system. Since a majority of the mail our servers handle is spam, taking care of that quickly and efficiently helps everybody.

If you really hate the idea of quarantining and want to handle spam yourself via procmail and whatnot, you can set the score for both tagging and quarantining to be really high (like 999) and it'll always get passed on. All mail scanned by the amavis machine gets headers inserted describing the score, etc. You can filter on those headers.

There is no statistical/bayesian component to this system because implementing one on a network level is difficult and (we think) often counterproductive.

nate.
07-24-2004, 05:52 PM
Where does the Spam go?
Quote:I'm still seeing false-negatives. Is there a way for me to feed those back?
Nope, there's nothing to "train" so there's nothing to feed them back to...

The best kind of refinement this beta test can offer is white/blacklists...

nate.