Current time: 04-20-2014, 12:07 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

FireFox 3, So who's excited?
06-18-2008, 08:43 AM
I'm still testing most of my sites, but so far so good. Seems nice so far, which is less than I could say if IE8 Beta.

-Karl Blessing
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-18-2008, 09:44 AM
My favorite thing about Firefox is dialing it in with plug-ins, so I usually give the plug-in authors some time to get things updated before I upgrade.

--------------------------------------------------------
Tongue Maximum savings promo code: MaxSavingsAtDH
06-18-2008, 10:14 AM
Tongue Most of mine already had updates for FF3 (GreaseMonkey, AdBlock etc)

The Main one I wanted to make sure was updated for FF3 was FireBug, and sure enough 1.2 is.

-Karl Blessing
06-19-2008, 07:26 AM
my site is having minor css display problems in ff3 that weren’t there in ff2. i have a background image displaying 1px higher on the page than it should be and a border that goes away after the page gets to be a certain length.

track7 - my dream-hosted site
06-19-2008, 01:56 PM
my site is having minor css display problems in ff3 that weren’t there in ff2. i have a background image displaying 1px higher on the page than it should be and a border that goes away after the page gets to be a certain length.

Sigh, this is exactly what I was afraid of. So no, I'm not excited about FF3 at all, but I'm probably going to have to go download it ASAP. At least its not a new version of IE... that's gotta be the worst browser to code visual styles for.

Meh, I'll probably put it off a few more days. I have about five or six articles on my mind that I need to write.

~
website building website building & discount coupons
my obligatory dreamhost discount coupon
06-19-2008, 05:29 PM
Do not make the mistake of assuming that Firefox 3 is munging up your site. Since Firefox 3 is significantly more standards-compliant than Firefox 2, it is more likely that your site has made assumptions based on inaccurate rendering.

Browsers don't "break the web" (as Microsoft likes to put it). The web was made broken in the first place!

-- si-blog --
Max discount on any plan with promocode SCJESSEYTOTAL
06-20-2008, 07:36 AM
the background issue could possibly be my fault (seems likely since opera and ie7 show the same issue), but the missing border issue is pretty straightforward and firefox is getting it wrong where it didn't used to. i know css well, and both opera handles this correctly so it seems to be a firefox bug.

we also have a problem with an intranet site at work where they messed up the css and ff2 ignored it but ff3 is handling it correctly, which is making a feature of that site unusable until the people who maintain that site fix their css. they had the warning of it not working in opera or safari though, which tends to be a good indication that the site is broken.

06-25-2008, 01:28 PM
so the "missing" border actually seems to be showing up as black for a while and white for a while, even though the border (in my case) is supposed to be blue.

i noticed the default theme for mediawiki also has this problem. for example: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Nuvexport

notice the border around the page content, while it should be grey, is actually white (or missing), but somehow shows as black near the middle (vertically).

i see this both on linux and windows, but i have the same extensions installed on both so maybe it's one of those somehow. does anyone else see this? if so, i'll see if i can figure out how to report a bug to firefox.

06-25-2008, 04:47 PM
That's weird, because it seems to be fine in Wikipedia and the DreamHost Wiki.

-- si-blog --
Max discount on any plan with promocode SCJESSEYTOTAL
06-26-2008, 07:15 AM
i forgot to mention that it only seems to happen once the contents of the div push it past a certain height. so a page with less content on the same site as my previous example (i.e. http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Dig...elevision) does not show the problem.