Current time: 04-23-2014, 01:02 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Things change and a disclosure is due ...
05-20-2008, 12:27 AM
After years of participation on these forums as a DreamHost customer, there has been a change in my situation that warrants disclosure here. I have applied for a job at DreamHost, and have been hired.

I am now a DreamHost employee and, in keeping with DH's longstanding policy of transparency (which I wholeheartedly endorse!), I'm disclosing that fact in these forums, and on the wiki, this morning.

So, as not to appear to speak "for DreamHost" unless I really *am* speaking for them, it won't be appropriate for me to be quite as "vocal" as I have been in the past on certain "controversial" issues, but I intend to still contribute to the forums (though to a lesser degree). I will also continue my work on the DreamHost wiki, as do all DreamHost employees.

-rlparker
DH Technical Support
Find all posts by this user
05-20-2008, 12:46 AM
Hey congradulations. We will miss some of your excellent advice. I hope you will have a chance to pop in from time to time.
Good luck,
Silk

My website
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-20-2008, 03:56 AM
Congrats!

I'd buy you a beer to celebrate... but I'm not some fancy rich Dreamhost employee pulling in 7 figures/year that can just go around buying people beer like that. Tongue

I guess this also explains why they keep ignoring the 20 "Please ban rlparker" requests I send through the ticket system each day. Wink

--------------------------------------------------------
Tongue Maximum savings promo code: MaxSavingsAtDH
05-20-2008, 06:30 AM
That's awesome, dude. Good luck with it, and do something about 'ol fat fingers.

-- si-blog --
Max discount on any plan with promocode SCJESSEYTOTAL
05-20-2008, 07:40 AM
Congrats... Big Grin at least they will be paying you for what time ago are doing for free ;D.

On the other hand surely we'll miss you, and your speedier responses to newcomers|newbies.

---
Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
Sagan
05-20-2008, 11:42 AM
Wow, this is amazing, and I just posted a note elsewhere mentioning lack of DH employee involvement with the community.

Look, I've been a very vocal member of my business community for the last 15 years. A couple years after my first exposure to our public business forums I was also hired at the company around which much of our community focuses - much like your change here. After that my employer got uptight about a lot of my public commentary, especially when I was openly critical of the company itself for some of the stupid things they did. At one point I was banned from using my company email address in public forums. When management changed I was specifically asked to openly participate in forums and to be openly welcoming and volunteering whatever sort of criticism I wanted - bearing in mind that that ultimate objective was to make the products better, the clients happier, and to get more business in the process. This 180 degree shift shows the range of opportunity for an employee to participate in a public forum.

With that in mind I am REALLY hoping that your participation in these forums continues as normal. There's nothing wrong with being critical of some policy. The difference is the presentation. Here, all we can do is say "this is great and that sux". In your position you can say "this sux but here is the reasoning behind the policy" or "yes, this may suk but it suks worse elsewhere, here's what DH does about it, and here's what they're talking about for later". People might disagree with the reasoning but they are far more inclined to be content in disagreement if they can simply understand the other side of the argument. Disagreement with a black box company ("this sux and I can't get any feedback from the company") only leads to lost business. Instilling the feeling that the customer base has someone - ANYONE - on the inside who can represent them and their concerns is a major way to endear and keep customers. People want an ombudsman, someone who will speak for them even if the answer is "no". Please do what you can to be that person with full buy-in from company management and participation from Support and maintenance people there.
05-20-2008, 02:37 PM
Good luck Robert!

Wait. Tech Support?

Go have your blood pressure taken.. in a year you can give us a 'before and after' Wink

Maximum Cash Discount on any plan with MAXCASH
05-20-2008, 10:51 PM
Congratulations Robert! I'm assuming this is a positive step rather than a backwards step from your previous life of leisure. Smile

I do hope that you and your employer work towards and resolve issues related to your private commentary on corporate matters. If there's any company that I have hope for a reasonable policy in this area, it's Dreamhost.

I also hope that your enjoyment of the community isn't diminished by the fact that it may seem more like work now.

Use the 3DOM50 promo code for 3 extra lifetime domains and $50 off
More Dreamhost coupons here!
05-22-2008, 06:40 PM
Good for you! Looking forward to getting the inside scoop.

Does the job description match your reality? Isn't that salary a factor of 3 (or more) lower than you deserve? Wink
05-29-2008, 01:22 AM
"We are SO not like that! If you're cool and enjoy jokes about ninjas and pirates"

I'm more interested in knowing some of those.... or are they all private DH staff jokes that we mere mortals aren't allowed to hear/read?

$50 Discount 1LUCID50 Sign up now